Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Submitting a ticket for yourself doesn't give you the access level when you assign it to yourself

Level 7
On a project, you set the access for When someone is assigned to an Issue, and when someone submits a request. The problem is sometimes our consultants will submit an issue on a project and assign it to themselves. When they do that, they get the rights of someone who submits a request, not someone who is assigned to a request and therefore can't update the ticket as much. Do other people experience this and how do you get around it? I would have expected that they would have gotten the access of someone assigned to the issue (since they are). Maybe I need to submit this as a product enhancement.
8 Replies

Level 10
We have a few queues where someone submits something that ends up assigned to themself and haven't seen an issue. Do they manually assign it to themselves or is their a routing rule that assigns it? For us, there is a routing rule so that might be what makes the difference.

Level 7
Are you sure you have the access levels different in that particular Project (not global) preferences from when someone is assigned a ticket vs. submits a ticket? We have projects with routing rules too, and if the person who it is assigned to submits the request/issue, they get the "submit" access level and not the "assigned to" access level.

Level 10
Just to make sure I understand this... you have access levels that are assigned to your users called Submit and Assigned To? I was under the impressions that a user only gets one access level. So you can't get them more permissions than the access level allows. (For instance, if you say they cannot see portfolios, you can't share a portfolio with them). We use the access area of the project (accessed by going to Edit Project). We have it setup that when someone is assigned an issue they get contribute to the issue (with all advanced settings) and view to the project. If someone submits a request, they give them contribute access but they don't get change status and don't have access to the whole project.

Level 7
Yes, I should have explained it better. I'm referring to your second paragraph - under Edit Project. We have those 2 options (assigned to an issue vs. submits a request) set up differently (similar to you). And when a user submits an issue when he's automatically assigned to it, he gets the "submits a request" access instead of the assigned to access. I guess because that's what happens first. Are you saying that when your user SUBMITS an issue, where he's also automatically assigned to the issue that he gets the access rights of the "Assgined to an Issue"?

Level 10
I believe so... well, at least no one has complained about it to me yet. (and with one of them being change status, I'd think I would hear something). Do you know if the differences show up in the Sharing option? If so, I could go to an Issue and see the permissions of someone who entered as well as is assigned to a issue?

Level 7
Yes, you will see it in the Sharing option and you'll see that they only have the level of the person submitting a request. (well, I would think so if it works like ours).

Level 10
Okay, I actually don't have any where the different people who get auto-assigned are also the entry person. However... I did find some where the entry person was added manually as an assignee and you are correct, they do not have the access like someone else who is assigned. That seems like a bug a to me. I'll submit a ticket to our support person and see what she says. I can't imagined it was designed that way, but we shall see.

Level 7
Yeah, I submitted a ticket this morning as well.