Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Strange performance issue with setting Project Owners & Approvers

Level 10
Hi, This is a strange, but relatively low impact performance issue which started this week for us. I would like your feedback in case other customers are also experiencing it so that we can get some Dev focus on it. I have a situation where when we go to do a name lookup to assign a project owner or an approver in an approval process, some searches are almost instant (as normal), but others take around 5 seconds or more. The time taken to return the results seems consistent based on the letters searched for, but is not related to the number of objects returned. For example: Entering 'ke' is fast Entering 'ca' is slow Entering 'to' is slow Entering 'da' is fast Interestingly, if I do the same testing in our Preview Sandbox (which is normally a lot slower than Production) I don't experiencing the performance issues. We also don't experience the performance issues in Production if we are just assigning a resource to a task....it only happens if assigning a project owner or approver. It seems to me that something is going on in Production....possibly related to SSO or some license checking process which may not be in operation in the Preview environment. As an individual issue, it is not a huge issue, but it is annoying for users so we would like it fixed. Cheers, David
7 Replies

Level 10
Interesting one, David. Just spit ballin', but perhaps in production the data you are searching for is stored (or indexed) across multiple servers, and the "slow" data within the ranges in the middle of your examples are on a server that's under heavier load than the others. Worth bringing to the Workfront Network team's attention, i'd suggest; I'm sure they'd be just as curious to know what could be causing it. Regards, Doug

Level 10
Interesting idea....have you had a chance to see if your system/s behave in a similar way? We have around 350 users created in our system if that has any bearing on it (around 250 currently active licensed users).

Level 10
Sorry mate: but all four of your samples were fast when I Project Details > Edit the Project Owner in prod with over 8000 users. You must be imagining it . I'd suggest you use Jing to make a screen recording of exactly what you are doing in Workfront, and include a clock with its second hand beside it, to emphasize the delay. You could then post it here, and pass it along on your helpdesk ticket. Regards, Doug

Level 10
P.S. it might also be helpful to mention which cluster you are using

Level 10
We actually have the same experience. The ones that tested slow were 'ca' 'martin' One of the PMs reported that it's slower than how mine ran. I've also seen an example where the name appears twice - I've checked, user does not have two accounts on the system (with mixed email address issue).

Level 8
We have the same issue from time to time. Sometimes it's SUPER slow, sometimes it's normal. Let me know if you find a solve for this because I'd like to fix it as well. In Reply to David Cornwell:
Hi, This is a strange, but relatively low impact performance issue which started this week for us. I would like your feedback in case other customers are also experiencing it so that we can get some Dev focus on it. I have a situation where when we go to do a name lookup to assign a project owner or an approver in an approval process, some searches are almost instant (as normal), but others take around 5 seconds or more. The time taken to return the results seems consistent based on the letters searched for, but is not related to the number of objects returned. For example: Entering 'ke' is fast Entering 'ca' is slow Entering 'to' is slow Entering 'da' is fast Interestingly, if I do the same testing in our Preview Sandbox (which is normally a lot slower than Production) I don't experiencing the performance issues. We also don't experience the performance issues in Production if we are just assigning a resource to a task....it only happens if assigning a project owner or approver. It seems to me that something is going on in Production....possibly related to SSO or some license checking process which may not be in operation in the Preview environment. As an individual issue, it is not a huge issue, but it is annoying for users so we would like it fixed. Cheers, David

Level 10
Hi all. The issue has resolved itself with no action actually taken as far as I am aware. For what it's worth, we're on CL01 and I will update this thread if it happens again. I suggest that if anyone else experiences similar issues, please log it with Workfront Support so that we can build a case for Dev to take a look at it. Thanks for everyone's responses.