Expand my Community achievements bar.

Steps in a Workflow: Ability to set due dates

Level 3
One thing I’d like to see with workflows is the ability to set a timeframe or date if you have a workflow that has more than one step. Now, you have the task due date but if you have multi-step approval workflow…approvers tend to not realize that the due date is for the whole workflow and not just their approval. So Step 1 will go all the way to the task due date and then any steps with approvals that follow it are now late. And you can’t change the due date while a workflow is in progress.
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

3 Replies

Level 3
Hi Lee! You're talking about document approval workflows in ProofHQ right? Not task approvals in Workfront? I'm about to implement the more advanced ProofHQ version to setup workflows so your feedback is particularly interesting to me. :) Thanks and be well, Tom Ford

Level 3
Good point. Let's say for both document approvals and for task approvals. Before the document approval functionality was added, we have used task approval workflows to approve a document that has been uploaded to the task. We still do this today since that also allows approvers to log their time for reviewing the document to that task.

Level 3
Thanks for the information, Lee! I'm moving our teams out of task approval to strict document approval. Writers and Designers will still have a "Create" task to log time against but I'm taking approvers out of tasks since they're awful at closing them out, making it look like projects/tasks take longer than they actually do. To figure out document approval times, there's a report I can run that shows me the approver, requester, document name, request date, and approval date which then gives me enough data to manually calculate the number of days it took to approve a document. I care less about the number of hours it took an approver to review a document and more about how long it took them to do a final sign off on document in it's entirety since the final document approval is representative of asset creation. I see your point about the importance of logging hours against reviews and while I agree with it, my secondary goal is to get people who are bad at closing out tasks (usually approvers) out of the task process and let the people who are good at tasks (usually the creators of a document asking for approval) do their thing. Hope this helps! Best of luck to you in your efforts! :)