Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Setting up Portfolios for a marketing dept at a Health Network -- -does it make sense to organize Portfolios around each organization in the health network or by departments across all organizations in the Health Network?

Level 3

Looking to see what others may have done; opportunities or pitfalls.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

Hi @Tamara Jones‚, I would say it depends on what type of security structure you want. We have portfolios set up by internal departments and a departmental head is assigned as the portfolio manager so they have ultimate control over what projects/work goes on in their portfolio. The Portfolio owners confer amongst themselves when a project needs to be transferred between portfolios. We have custom forms from there assigned to the projects to classify our customers across the different portfolios. We also share resources across the portfolios, but the control of the projects is a little more siloed, so this works for us.

So if you have a fairly strict structure with multiple departments like that, portfolio by department might make sense. However, if it's one department handling the work for multiple organizations/clients, or if your workflow is a little less siloed in regards, the portfolio by organization makes sense.

You can also do a hybrid by setting up portfolio by departments and programs by organizations; you definitely have options and a lot of it depends on how your workflow is now and how you want the work to be reported at the portfolio level (ie, by department or by client).

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions, hope i didn't throw too much at you at once!

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Employee

Tagging our @Marketing‚ group and a few others I know in Marketing departments who might have information about the best way to do this... maybe @Chris Flynn‚ who also works in Healthcare and might have some ideas for you about how he has done this?

Level 5

HI @Tamara Jones‚ - we organized our portfolios by the departments (clients) we serve THEN also have separate portfolios for major campaigns, such as Holiday 2020, that we run every year.

Correct answer by
Level 4

Hi @Tamara Jones‚, I would say it depends on what type of security structure you want. We have portfolios set up by internal departments and a departmental head is assigned as the portfolio manager so they have ultimate control over what projects/work goes on in their portfolio. The Portfolio owners confer amongst themselves when a project needs to be transferred between portfolios. We have custom forms from there assigned to the projects to classify our customers across the different portfolios. We also share resources across the portfolios, but the control of the projects is a little more siloed, so this works for us.

So if you have a fairly strict structure with multiple departments like that, portfolio by department might make sense. However, if it's one department handling the work for multiple organizations/clients, or if your workflow is a little less siloed in regards, the portfolio by organization makes sense.

You can also do a hybrid by setting up portfolio by departments and programs by organizations; you definitely have options and a lot of it depends on how your workflow is now and how you want the work to be reported at the portfolio level (ie, by department or by client).

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions, hope i didn't throw too much at you at once!

Level 3

Definitely provided a lot to think about. You make a good point about reporting playing a factor into what we should be choosing.

I reserve the right to reach out again as we pursue.

Much obliged.

Tamara

Level 4

No problem Tamara. Feel free to contact me as you move through the set up!