Expand my Community achievements bar.

Separating Users and Objects within a Single Instance

Level 10

Is there a proper/recommended way to separate the data of two groups/companies/divisions of data in the same instance?

For example, if I want Marketing and Sales to both use our WF instance, but they never want to see each other's data: projects, requests, tasks, etc. for convenience and security reasons.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

3 Replies

Level 8

We do this by using groups (one group for marketing and one group for sales) and really paying attention to our permissions and access levels. It requires a lot of attention, but it's very functional. Almost nothing in our instance is available system-wide except training documentation and a Workfront support request queue.

Level 8

We're also very particular with our layout templates. Esp. filters, views, groupings to keep seeing only what they need to see.

Level 10

@Samantha Isin‚ this is what we are doing currently (groups and layout templates), so good to hear we're not the only ones.

Support recommends using Companies and the "only visible within Company" setting in layout templates. We sometimes need some cross-company work, in which case Support recommended duplicate layout templates for those users that have the "restricted to Company" turned off.

I'm exploring the pros and cons of each method vs. complexities:

--Using Groups seems less complex, but I am curious about pitfalls. I know search is kinda odd, for example.

--"Within Company" restrictions seems more bulletproof, but cross-company work seems to create layout template complexity and anything we can do to reduce system management overhead is a plus since none of us sysadmins are full-time on WF; we have other systems to manage. So reduced workload is a plus.

Keep it coming everyone!