Expand my Community achievements bar.

Sample Project Status Dashboards / Graphs?

Level 10
Hi everyone - I'm looking for inspiration. I have to produce meaningful project status / quality dashboards. What I've been using so far is a bunch of boring reports, no color, no graphs. Would you be willing to upload a screen shot of your colorful project status reports or dashboards? I want to steal every good idea you have :-) Thanks! Eric
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

14 Replies

Level 1
If you agree to sign a NDA, I'll show you what real dashboards should look like. :)

Level 10
Sure thing. Send it, I’ll sign it. eric.lucas@crowley.com< Thanks! Eric

Level 1
L&C might take forever on approving that, so as to not leave you hanging, I've stripped out the real data of a dashboard we currently use. Take a look and let me know your thoughts. I like to have fun with reporting. I keeps the audience smiling. (This is all done in Excel)

Level 9
* applause * In Reply to Jonathan Bunio:
L&C might take forever on approving that, so as to not leave you hanging, I've stripped out the real data of a dashboard we currently use. Take a look and let me know your thoughts. I like to have fun with reporting. I keeps the audience smiling. (This is all done in Excel)
-Nate Bagley --- Workfront Community Manager - Work Smart, Work Happy Message me directly at:

Level 2
I hope Workfront teams up with Tableau to creative some awesome vizzes you can embedded into dashboards. -- Scott Adams Workfront - Data Inspires Creativity Business System Analyst Lead

Level 10
What system do you use to produced that? Very nice, i must say. Eric L. Lucas Crowley Maritime Corporation Manager, IT PMO +1 (904) 727-5218 On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 4:57 PM -0400, "Jonathan Bunio" wrote: L&C might take forever on approving that, so as to not leave you hanging, I've stripped out the real data of a dashboard we currently use. Take a look and let me know your thoughts. I like to have fun with reporting. I keeps the audience smiling. -----End Original Message-----

Level 1
Thank you! All created in Excel. Just takes time to make it look like an infographic.

Level 10
I had to mark this up so I didn't include anything sensitive. This is a capture of our Workfront admin command center, which is where we manage all WF Administrator Issues, Projects, Approvals, and more.

Level 10
Thanks for going to the effort to post this. I’m going to pore over it this afternoon. For everyone that tries to get to the upload - you have to be logged into the WorkFront Community website or it will throw an error. Log in before you click the link. [cid:image001.jpg@01D1CE17.7DD7F650] Thanks! Eric

Level 10
Hi: <> How did you get a stacked bar chart out of WorkFront? (Admin - Issues Closed this year by Month) Thanks! Eric

Level 10
I used the vertical bar chart and then check the "Group Columns" feature. This requires two groupings of the data, which were Issue>Entry Date and Issue>Owner in this case. See the attachment.

Level 10
I didn’t know we could do that. Cool. Thanks very much! Eric

Level 10
I've been thinking over this question a lot, especially in light of the LEAP session on KPI given by Cella (called "You have data, now what?"). So here are a few thoughts. * Meaningful and boring are not mutually exclusive. In other words, your "boring" reports may hold the gist of what is meaningful for your company. Corollary: "visually exciting" doesn't equate to "meaningful," either. * "Meaningful" is often a subjective term. What's meaningful for me, is often not meaningful for anyone else. - I'm a sysadmin, and have created reports to help me display my current work in a more informative way. I don't find it informative to see pies, bars, and line graphs. On the other hand, it's helpful to me to have hilighted rows, bolded text, or text in different colors. So I often use red text to show missed deadlines or task assignments from VIPs, while some of our workers whose work is perpetually late (not their fault; blame project dependencies) would find the sea of red very distressing/distracting. - Different strokes for different folks: I'll mention that our email team (they create our bacn and schedule it for delivery), like to see their schedule in calendar form. So for them, they use a calendar. Several other groups like that approach too, and often list a calendar in their dashboard. - Higher level execs often don't want to be inundated with the granular details of every task or every project so for them it made better sense to start grouping the data into pies or bars or lines. As a general rule of thumb, I use bars to show "groups of data" over time (e.g. number of users per division added each month [number of users is one group, division is another group]), and "groups of data" over time is useful to show a trend of what's growing or shrinking (e.g. number of users added each month continues to show growth). Pies are useful to show a sense of totals and percentages (e.g. of all the projects we completed in 2015, half the pie belongs to that one troublemaking division). So I'd throw your question below right back at you - what reports are you currently creating, what meaning do they hold for the recipient of your report, and who are your intended audiences (and how do they like to see their info)? Armed with those answers, you'd stand a better chance of creating dashboards filled with reports that give more visibility in a concise way -- and isn't that more what you might need to provide? As an example of the previous paragraph, our design team (headed by the creative director who acts somewhat in the role of a traffic manager as well) would probably like to see rows of data, green highlight rows showing what they can start on, plain rows for what's coming down the pike, red text showing missed deadlines, and columns showing information pertinent to them. Creative director could get the same report, but in the form of a pie and she might focus on the slice showing high profile, complex projects (in order to make sure those get extra attention), as well as generally keeping an eye on numbers (the rest of the pie). Hope that helps. -skye In Reply to Lucas Eric:
Hi everyone - I'm looking for inspiration. I have to produce meaningful project status / quality dashboards. What I've been using so far is a bunch of boring reports, no color, no graphs. Would you be willing to upload a screen shot of your colorful project status reports or dashboards? I want to steal every good idea you have :-) Thanks! Eric

Level 10
Hi Eric, For out of the box dashboards, here is a screenshot from our Executive Dashboards , or this one from our Sales Pipeline Management (SPM) For out of this world dashboards, here is a screenshot of our Magic Reporting . Regards, Doug