Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Resource Planning

Level 3
We are implementing resource planning. I am curious how others account for standing meetings that are not related to a specific project. For example, we have daily huddles and weekly change management meetings. I know I can add a personal task but am wondering what others are doing. Thanks, Cindy Cindy Mersch Trihealth, Inc.
4 Replies

Level 10
My different business units take two different approaches: Change the FTE to reflect the reduced working hours because of meetings (i.e. if the person has 15 minute daily huddles, 1 hour weekly status meeting, 30 minute weekly resource meeting, we'd change their FTE to 0.66) Create a bucket project that has tasks in there to block their time. This one gets a little more complicated when you have weekly meetings. Some resource managers want it the exact date the meeting is but that shifts around and it is, in my opinion, wasted time to keep all of those lined up with Outlook. Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 3
We are in the same situation. 1. We created a bucket project with 100 tasks each task spanning 1 day and 2 hrs. We also set each task to auto complete . We initially thought and based on the WF documentation, if you place the project on HOLD, the timeline will still keep ticking and users will not get any kind of notification, the 2 hrs will show under their planned hours for days and months. However, it seems we have to place the project in current status for the tasks to be auto-complete . This causes notifications to users and also show up in their My Work or Home area. Not the desired result. Question on changing the FTE to 0.66, does that get reflected in resource planner view? With the bucket project, I could clearly indicate available hours and planned hours in the resource view. however I am not sure how i replicate that with changing the FTE to 0.66 All help will be appreciated Souvir Bhuta - CapabilitySource CapabilityBlox

Level 10
Hi All, At our place, there was a situation at the end of every manager was facing. That they have 10000 hrs in the team. But they delivered much less. Nothing to show them for the whole. Because every person in the team works for project and task either from meetings or independent task. Independent task mean, team member receives task from other department or business entity. Task with short duration and planned hour. So, handle this, created an individual independent task project for each user and categorised inside with different parent task heading with marketing, design, productio, meetings and other services. Now they log task and hours and each project sponsor can visualise them in detail and try to reduce or manage them. It also shows in scheduling. I dont know but may be a similar solution will work. Based on what I understood the question in this post. Regards, Kundan. Kundan Kumar KGON (Kverneland Group Operations Norway AS)

Level 6
Hi Cindy Majority of people working in our IT Department have some availability for project work over and above their business as usual (BAU) which would include non project meetings. In readiness for 2019 as part of our Ops Planning we will be trialling each team having a BAU plan whereby their BAU % commitment, i.e. the amount of time they need to spend on 'keeping the lights on' is locked down. The different teams across the department have differing requirements as to how much they want to manage their BAU tasks in WF. We are therefore starting by giving everyone a consistent template with one task that shows the total BAU hours for the year (with a fixed task constraint). They will then have a number of other tasks that they can tailor with zero hours but these will appear in their timesheets so that actual time can be recorded against them. Some teams want to put hours against these, which is fine, as long as the hours against the BAU pot are deducted. Some teams don't want to have to manage their BAU tasks to this degree which is also fine. The result is that, when the users are viewed in the Resource Planner, it gives us visibility of their availability for project work as this will show in the 'DIF' field. All the best Jane Jane Bradshaw BAKKAVOR LTD