Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Resource Managers: Best Scenario/Best Practice

Level 10
Hello ~ Would like to know how many of you utilize the Resource Tool (Resource Planner, Resource Scheduling). And for those, I have additional questions. How few or many Users do you have to manage their day-to-day work? What is best practice for using the tool? What is your use case for using the tool? (small or large) I'm close to finishing the WF Ascent Resource Manager Training Program, which is quite thorough. This tool seems to be more ideal for large user base and where user hours are closely managed versus an operational setting where users daily work is other than managing projects or tasks on projects. If you did use the tool for the latter, you'd have to finely pinpoint FTE hours solely to project/tasks. Thank you. Susan
3 Replies

Level 10
I'm interested in following this one as well. We are looking at implementing this and are curious how different organizations, etc. are using this. Within our department, we have multiple projects that are run by PMs. So they tend to get the care and feeding they need to be pretty accurate (planned durations, planned hours, assignments, etc.). However, there is another group of projects that are either used as buckets to track support items or used to manage projects by team members, etc that don't have a lot of PM experience so accuracy is not as strong). Admin Kelly-Wehrmann SSFCU

Level 10
Hi Susan, We have 220 users but don't (and can't) use either of the Resource Scheduler or Resource Planner yet. We would like to and I'm still providing feedback to Workfront as they enhance the tools and hope they get to the point that they work for us. Regarding the Scheduler, we're pretty close. The main thing holding us back is the lack of a Task level filter of the unscheduled tasks. We need to be able to filter these down based on Task custom data. Without this, there is a massive deluge of unscheduled tasks, including many which we don't want resource schedulers to have to assign.....making the screen unusable due to the clutter. The Resource Planner is getting closer also. There are a few fixes/enhancements coming in 18.1 which hopefully will get the product to the point that we can implement it. Keen to hear how others are using the tools as they are presently though. Regards, David Cornwell

Level 10
Hi, David. I hope I ask this question correctly. With your 'close to' scenario with the Resource tool, are you responsible for assigning work to a team or are you using this tool just to get a high level view of hours dedicated to projects? Thank you, Susan