Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Resource allocation between Projects in Workfront and Non-project work for support

Level 2
Currently, in my world the daily support efforts are not accounted for in Workfront. We have projects with resources assigned. Can you share how you've resolved allocating resource hours between Workfront Projects and non-project support. Here are some thoughts we have -- feedback and ideas would be greatly appreciated. If a resource spends 4 hours a day on support that leaves only 4 hours for project work -- therefore, their available hours in Workfront can only be set a 4. Alternatively, we could set up a "Support" project with four general tasks like: Defining Support Ticket Requirement Developing Support Ticket Resolution Testing Support Ticket Resolution Implementing Support Ticket Resolution. Currently, the individual support tickets are tracked and managed in another system so the thought is it isn't necessary to account for the individual support tickets within Workfront.
6 Replies

Level 4
Well.... We tried that (keeping Support tickets and projects on separate systems) and hit the same issues. A year later, we have just started a Request Queue in Workfront 0_o My advice is not to wait a year and try and track shared resources in two systems (or, in our case a third system, by combining both sides in an Excel spreadsheet!!) Don't wait a year................ ;p

Level 10
Hi: We have a Support Demand Plan, where we plan the non-project time by a percentage. That way, we can say, this person is working 0% on non-project work, or that person is working 60% on non-project work. We update that number as often as necessary. We found that to be the easiest, as we do not know exactly what non-project work they would be working on any given week. Thanks! Eric

Level 2
Hi Kathy, We are launching an initiative to manage the allocation and also have the same issue. We decided to assign an FTE % for each member. For example if someone is working in operations (tickets, requirements, daily activities registered outside workfront) 70% of his time he has an .3 FTE so he will only have 2.4 hour at day to work in projects (based in a 8 hrs/day), after that he will be overhead. We have been doing more things for tuning this, but i think basically the FTE can help you Regards

Level 2
Thank you for sharing. Learning what others do in this situation is really helpful!

Level 2
Thanks Phil -- we are addressing in the short term. I appreciate the information you shared. K