Expand my Community achievements bar.

Reporting on Typeahead Fields

Level 9
Text mode has long been my achilles heel in Workfront, so I hope someone here can help me out. I have a Task report and I need to display information from a Project-level custom form, specifically one of the brand-new Typeahead fields. I can get the info to display easily in a Project report, but it doesn't show as an option in my Task report. Anyone know how I can use text mode to make this work? Thanks. Anthony Pernice Healthcare Consultancy Group
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

30 Replies

Level 7
Hey Kristine, Per Josh's note above: The calculation would be: {Typeahead Field Name:name} FYI, you can replace "name" in the calculation with any direct user field to get that value such as "title", "emailAddr", etc. So for your scenario, the calculation should be: {Backup Requestor:name} Thanks! Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 5
I get the Custom Expression Invalid Kristine Ross Empower-Retirement

Level 10
Kristine: You can't pull information from an existing request's custom form into a project custom form as far as I know. You can do a one-time copy--when you convert a request to a project it will pull the request information over at that point, but that's about it. -skye

Level 7
Aha Skye caught my mistake.. I didn't pay enough attention. The issue you'll run into Kristine is that the project object is 'above' the issue object. So you can do a collections, but that can only be done on a view, not as a calculated field. The reason behind this is because you can have multiple issues on a project, so the system has no idea which issue you're referring to. Hope that helps! Thanks, Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 5
That is basically what i'm trying to do. Copy the value in the Backup Requestor Name field into a project form as it is creating, but I can't make it work. Kristine Ross Empower-Retirement

Level 10
Kristine: You should just put the same field (not the calculated field) in the project custom form. When you convert it to the project using a template with that custom form, all the information should carry over. -skye

Level 2

Hi everyone, I'm trying to follow this thread but having difficulty. On my custom form called Intake (it creates project, task, issue object types) I have a typeahead user field with the name of "MCCMS Intake Who is your SupervisorUserName". On the same custom form, I'm trying to create a calculated text field using the syntax of {Who is Your SupervisorMCCMS Intake Who is your SupervisorUserName:name} but it says invalid. I've even used the Fields lookup and it says "It doesn't look like that matches any available fields"

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. 

Community Advisor

Just leaving a reminder at the bottom of this thread that due to 22.3 release, you should check older syntax such as what's advised here, against what is currently prescribed.

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/workfront/using/product-announcements/product-releases/relea...

Level 2

Thank you for sharing that product release. That did it. By typing DE: after the first curly bracket it worked.

To summarize my use case . . . 

1. I created a custom form intake form (project, task, issue object types).
  2. I have a typehead field - user - to capture the supervisor's name, named: MCCMS Intake Who is your SupervisorUserName
  3. On the same form, there is a text calculation field with the formula: {DE:MCCMS Intake Who is your SupervisorUserName:name}. This is called My Supervisor Calculated
  4. I added "My Supervisor Caculated" on the task report.

I did find any issue that had already been converted to a project wouldn't recognize the field. I had to delete the project and convert it again. 

Level 4
Excellent thread with lots of good information. I can't escape the thought that the Typeahead field type would be much more powerful with the ability to report on custom fields associated to that object. I took the liberty of submitting this idea on the exchange. https://experience.workfront.com/s/idea/0870z000000XhPJAA0/detail Erich Giltinan Navy Federal Credit Union