Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Report View: Display Typeahead Text Field as Column using Text Mode

Level 6

Hello -

There doesn't appear to be native support for setting Typeahead fields as columns in report view. I have pointed the column to the values I want in text mode, however, I'm getting the whole object when I run the report.

In this case, I want a USER object typeahead field to show me the name of the user.

In text mode for the view, so far, I have:

displayname=Owner

textmode=true

valuefield=XYowner

valueformat=customDataLabelsAsString

When I run the report as is, the value that shows in the column/row (e.g.):

{"objCode":"USER","name":"Jack Jackson","ID":"5xxxxx326xxx0537abc12345d6089e48xx17"}

All we want to display is the "Jack Jackson".

Is there a way to parse the name out and omit the rest?

Thank you.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 7

Hi Mylah -

Try this:

displayname=Owner

textmode=true

valuefield=XYowner:name

valueformat=customReferenceObjectAsString

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 7

Hi Mylah -

Try this:

displayname=Owner

textmode=true

valuefield=XYowner:name

valueformat=customReferenceObjectAsString

Hope that helps!

Level 10

Very nice, Sarah: thanks for sharing!

May I ask where you found that particular gem?

Regards,

Doug

Level 7

Hey Doug,

We have one user typeahead field that we use so I just created a new report and found the field. They are not listed under the object name anymore, they get their own section (screenshot 1). Then switched to text mode and pulled out the syntax (screenshot 2).

Glad you like!

0694X00000AsCvKQAV.png0694X00000AsCvUQAV.png

Level 10

Ahh...I see! Excellent Find, and thanks again.

Regards,

Doug

Level 10

Nice work... added to the WF-Pro.com "Text Mode Examples" for future reference.

0694X00000AsDZeQAN.jpg

Level 6

Thanks so much. Sarah's solution worked beautifully.

Best,

Mylah

Level 6

However, in our instance, when I try to create a new project report, my field still does not show up anywhere in another section (unlike Sarah's screenshot.) Please see this screenshot. Our field is called "TG Individual Owner" and, comparing it to Sarah's screenshot, I would have expected to see it appear after "TG Group Owner". I couldn't find any expandable section in the list that allowed me to choose between ID and Name for that object. Hmmm. I hope I'm missing something obvious here. I'll come back and let everyone know how this ultimately resolves.

Community Advisor

hi Mylah, your screenshot is of fields in the Project section. Can you scroll down and confirm you don't have a TG Individual Owner section (i.e. grey bar that says TG Individual Owner, toward the bottom of your scroll list)

Level 6

Hi,

Thanks, Skye. I found it.

I had been trying to limit the list by typing "Owner" in the project field name (as in screenshot), and it wasn't among the options presented,. However, just scrolling down to the bottom of the list, I found it.

@Erec Cano‚ we can cancel our meeting early next week & I'll mark the case resolved.

Thx, all!

Level 3

Is there any trick to getting this working when the custom form is at the project level and I'm trying to make a task level report? I have the exact same issue where I just need the users name, but it just displays as blank when I add :name to the valuefield and changing valueformat to customReferenceObjectAsString as what was done in this thread.

displayname=

linkedname=project

namekey=view.relatedcolumn

namekeyargkey.0=project

namekeyargkey.1=FIELD NAME

querysort=DE:project:FIELD NAME

textmode=true

valuefield=project:FIELD NAME

valueformat=customDataLabelsAsString

Is what I have that shows the {"objCode":"USER","name":"Joe Smith","ID":"xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"}. Any thoughts for just the name?

Level 7

Hey Ryan,

We were unable to figure out how to do this without creating a reference field. On the project level, I created a calculated field - {FIELD NAME:name} - then I used that field when reporting.

Hope that helps!

Level 3

Thanks for taking a look, I really appreciate it. I was hoping to avoid that one, just to avoid cluttering up the custom forms more, but that does work for the report side so might be the way I go. Thanks again!