Expand my Community achievements bar.

Come join us for our Coffee Break this WEDNESDAY on top takeaways from Adobe Summit!

Replying to Updates and Receiving no email

Level 3
Hi Workfront community, We have seen an issue within Workfront when it comes to replying to updates on a project, it seems as though if I create an update and tag/notify an individual they receive the email with my comment/update, then when that person replies to my update I will get an email. However the issue comes when I am in the system and I reply back, without tagging by just hitting reply, then they don't get an email with my reply, even though the system says I replied to them. But, if I add them into the reply by tagging or notifying them they get an email with my reply. I hope I am making sense, I have tested this 3 times and get the same result that just replying to someone does not generate an email for the reply even though the system shows I replied to them, however if I tag or notify the individual into the reply they receive a email. Is anyone else having this problem? My concern is that if I just reply to my team members on a project that unless I tag them again in the reply they do not receive a notification, and instead have to manually monitor the updates. Even I noticed on the report I created that shows all the updates on a project that if the "Tagged People" column does not include a name that the individual that was replied to does not receive an email, even though the system clearly shows they were replied to. To me it is as if the system is showing without the tag that the person is not receiving the reply, especially through email. However, if there is a person's name in the "Tagged People" column then they receive an email, as you had to tag/notify the person in the response even though the system should have automatically added them. Hoping the community has insight and possible solutions. Erika Garrett Gulfstream Aerospace
7 Replies

Level 4
Have you already checked the email notifications of those not receiving the reply emails? Their instances must be set up with the email notification of " Someone comments on a thread I'm in" turned on. Denise Moore | Ameritas ® | Senior Analyst, Project Management 5900 'O' Street, Lincoln, NE 68510 | p: 402-325-4285 | f: 402-325-4069 | denise.moore@ameritas.com *******

Level 3
Hi Denise, We do have the notification checked in our preferences. That is why it is so weird that we are not receiving notifications when you just hit "Reply" versus having to tag people again in the reply. Erika Garrett Gulfstream Aerospace

Level 10
you should submit a ticket to the helpdesk. Send them a link to one of your problem replies (in Workfront) and specifically ask them to check and see if an email was sent on their side. If one was sent on their side and your user did not receive it, the problem will be your company's to solve. If an email was never sent from the Workfront side, then it's their problem to solve--be sure to note at this point that you have the relevant notification checked in "your" preferences, not only from a Setup-Settings standpoint but also from the individual user's standpoint, since they can always switch that option off. -skye

Level 10
Yeah it's not unheard of for WF to have issues with these replies. We've experienced in the past. So you may want to call them. But also you may check with those users, because I've had three types of things bite me in this scenario: They set up an Outlook rule that they forgot about that moves it to another folder The email went to their Junk Mail The email went to their Clutter So I typically check those things first, then I call WF.

Level 2

Hello Erika, One other thing to check that Vic and I have experienced is make sure these replies aren't a reply to a comment that was started under a "System Update". For some reason, Workfront allows you to click Comment on a System Update. We had a user call and say they were not getting email notifications for comments sent to them. We finally figured out someone clicked Comment on a System Update, and then they went back and forth on that thread. So if you click reply on this System Update thread, it actually says you are replying to the user, but unless you manually tag them in that update, they don't receive an email. Hope this helps. Thanks, Kevin Kevin Jesik Denver Board of Water Commissioners0690z000007ZhXeAAK.png

Level 10
Yes! Good point Kevin! I forgot about that. They can hit Reply to a System Update and without the tagging it goes nowhere. I never even knew there was a Reply link on System Updates. Here's another screen shot example.

Level 3
Thank you all. We have been doing numerous testing and our working with our IT System Admins to resolve this issue. Our IT System Admins are also working with Workfront. Erika Garrett Gulfstream Aerospace