Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Re-using entire sections of custom forms?

Level 6
I haven't found anything in the documentation or on the boards, but maybe someone has found a way to do this. I'd like to re-use entire sections of a a custom form across multiple custom forms instead of having to manually replicate things from form to form. Example we have multiple clients with multiple sub brands, we're using the built in logic to show sub-brands when a client is selected. If this was controlled from one source it would be very easy to ensure all client / brand lists are always up to date, and it would save hours of not having to rebuild the logic ever time we need a new custom form. The only thing i can find is to copy an existing custom form and then delete the unnecessary parts and build from there, but even that is a work around because if I make a change to one of those forms it won't push out to all the "copies".
5 Replies

Level 10
Hi Ryan, Not sure if this would suit your purpose, but perhaps you could split out the client form from your other forms, and just attach it when required. That way you could theoretically maintain just the one client form and then attach it as required in addition to your other forms. Regards, David

Level 6
Hi David, Thanks for the idea, but i'm not entirely sure how that would work, since i couldn't attach the entire client selection form into the new form, how would i handle passing off information for categorization and reporting? Is your thinking that users would go through the client selection form, and then that would funnel them to a new form with the additional questions that are needed? I'm not sure how I would automate that handoff?

Level 5
I think what David may be getting at is that Workfront allows multiple custom forms on an object. When they implemented that functionality, we split many of our long, complex forms into smaller forms. So in your case, for project type A you could add the "client" form, as well as a specific project info form, and for project type B you could add the "client" form, and the other relevant form. No need to duplicate the section.

Level 6
Ah yes, that makes more sense thank you very much- actually stumbled upon that approach after banging my head against the wall for a while. playing around with it now to see how it plays out. Where i'll run into a problem in your example is that we would want to customize information inf Form B based on the selections / inputs from Form A. I don't think i can link gross forms like that though.

Level 10
Yes Ryan - and Marty - that's what I was getting at :) To answer the new question -as you suspect, you can't setup display logic etc to operate between two custom forms.