Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

PTO Days

Level 1
Hi all, We are trying to see if we can set up a PTO system in Workfront. The problem that has come up is that we can't seem to find any way of tracking the number of off days an employee has. Then, when they submit a request to have days off and it is approved, we want to see the days that the employee has off subtract from his allowance in Workfront. Are there any ways of doing this? Thanks, John John Carey National Heritage Academies, Inc.
1 Reply

Level 3
Ahh the age old Workfront community favourite of PTO...! There isn't native functionality to support this within Workfront's PTO feature (yet...), but you can do everything you have specified using a combination of request queues and custom forms with calculated fields. It also gives you more benefits in terms of reporting and visibility, which is pretty lacking at the moment. I just mapped out a draft workflow for this which consists of: Custom fields on users to track PTO allowance, PTO taken and PTO remaining Request queue for people to submit PTO requests, with custom form to capture relevant info (start date, no. of days, type of leave etc) Approval process tied to line manager, with custom form to capture relevant info Calculated fields subtract number of days taken from total allowance Approved requests turned into tasks to book out people's time Notifications to users to let them know request is approved Dashboard can be built with calendar showing PTO across company [NB I have started to build this out but haven't tested it yet, so have no real world advice on how it works...!] A couple of downsides to this: Unlike the native PTO feature, this option will still allow you to schedule work for users on those days rather than amending the dates automatically, but they will show as over allocated in the resource planning tools. On the plus side, this also means you don't get project dates mysteriously moving out with no warning because somebody has put in PTO which is a problem at the moment. There's still manual input needed to check calendars and resource plans before approving a request. We also have a PTO google calendar for the business, so PTO would need to be manually inputted there as well. Stephanie Mulrooney Tomorrow People