Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Posting a Link in Docs?

Level 2
Hi! Does anyone have a way to post links in Workfront other than in Updates? I would like to post a link for webpage prototypes to be reviewed and approved in the Docs section but don't know how or if its possible. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thank you! Angie Kweder ANSYS-Marketing
11 Replies

Level 10
@Angie Kweder , do you have proofing? In that case, if you add new (proof), you can paste a url in there. Then it can be proofed and approved as usual. Polly Co

Level 2
Thanks for your response but we do not have Proofing which may be why it is so challenging. Angie Kweder ANSYS-Marketing

Level 10
Well, this is a pain in the butt but... you could create a custom form to attach to your document, with a field that people could put the link into. The document could just be an empty file called "see custom form" or sort of standard name like "weblink for review" or whatever. When they go to the custom form area, if there's a link in there that starts with http... it will be an active link. Really, this is just a workaround, but if you really needed to show a weblink in the documents folder, that would be how I would show it. -skye

Level 10
Yeah if you're looking to add multiple URL's, then it's either the Updates or Skye's idea of the form. But if you only need one, each task or issue has a specific URL field you could use. I can't think of another option.

Level 2
I appreciate the suggestions and we do use the URL box on the form when referring to current site. My issue is when something new is created and you want others to review and approve like they do in Docs. For now, I create a document and copy and paste the URL to it with instructions to click to review. That way we can use the approvals function. It would be nice for Workfront to add an option of posting a URL for review. Just like there are options for a document or from Google drive. Maybe this is a feature to consider. Thank you, Angie Kweder Project Manager, Marketing ANSYS, Inc.

Level 10
Totally agree. I'd vote for that.

Level 10
I use the Description field in a task to post links. I use this for cross project predecessors so that projects can link back and forth, and if everyone has that field in their normal project view it's very visible and easy to find.

Level 4
Angie and Vic: For what it's worth, I entered this exact request into the Ideas area years ago...hasn't come up yet. This is one of those features that blow my mind that it doesn't exist. Our use case would be for referencing documents in our Document Management System (we're a law firm and so that needs to be the single source of truth for all documents). The DMS does have the ability to create little mini-shortcuts to documents which are uploadable into WF's Documents area but the creation of these shortcuts (which are essentially just a URL) is a multi-step action, so being able to just paste in a URL to point to a key project document would be wonderful. Jason Maust McGuireWoods LLP

Level 10
Thanks Jason. Do you have a link to your Idea Request? I'll upvote it.