Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Planned Duration = 0, No Hours in Resource Grid

Level 2
Does anyone know why hours don't show up in the resource grid or scheduling tool if the planned duration of the task is set to zero days? Is there a workaround that will allow these hours to show up, other than making the planned duration 1 day and putting -1d in the predecessor column, so the task doesn't get bumped to the day after its predecessor is completed? Our schedule templates include a lot of tasks dependent on one another that need to happen same-day, so this is actually kind of a huge flaw for us. Workfront has rarely let me down like this, so I'm wondering if there is some setting or way of doing it that we're just not privy to, other than the tedious -1d route. Any insight/suggestions are greatly appreciated! Sarah Maltas Merrick Towle Communications
3 Replies

Level 10
You may have already tried this, but you can put your duration in Hours or even Minutes (be sure to type out 5 Min, instead 5m, as the M will default to Months). Anyway, Days is not the minimum measurement for Duration. So if you have tasks that happen the same day, Task A can be 1 Hour duration and Task B can be 1 Hour duration. Or 5 minutes each, or whatever is realistic for you. Does that help at all? Vic Alejandro Denver Water

Level 2
It does! Thank you so much for the help and the quick response, I'll have to start going to the community with my questions more often. Sarah Maltas Merrick Towle Communications

Level 9
This is actually an issue we raised a long time ago and I don't believe that setting the duration to 5 minutes will help you. What we were told by support (and it actually seems to be the case based on our experience) is that logged hours only show up on the resource grid for those hours that fall within the planned start/stop dates of the task, for tasks with planned hours. I know that isn't english, so here is an example: A task has a planned start date of October 1 and a planned stop date of October 15. It has 1 hour of planned time. The person it is assigned to logs the following against that task: 9/30/17 - .5 hours 10/1/17 - 1 hour 10/5/17 - 1 hour 10/18/17 - 1 hour 10/20/17 - 1 hour What will show up in the resource grid under planned is 1 hour (from the planned hours entered on the task), under actual will be 2 hours (for the two time entries that are within the date range of the task). The only way to get around this is to ensure your planned start/stop dates are broad enough. We also have a report which will identify tasks that have hours logged outside the task date ranges so that those tasks can be edited as needed. Again, sorry this is confusing, but I hope the information helps! Alison Wells Community Medical Centers