Expand my Community achievements bar.

Come join us for our Coffee Break this WEDNESDAY on top takeaways from Adobe Summit!

Placeholder users

Level 2
We have been using "placeholder" users for the past 7 years to represent steps in our processes that are done by our internal clients (ie, providing content, giving feedback, final approval). They do not have access to Workfront (no license) and for the most part, don't even know the system exists. Our project managers and strategic marketers (who also serve as account managers in some cases) gather the information via email, phone calls and in person, so they take the responsibility for adding updates and marking those tasks complete on behalf of the placeholder users. Does anyone else have dummy users like this for clients, vendors, etc.? We set things up this way in part because features such as review licenses and the approval process did not even exist. I found out we can't use the "assign users" function to assign these placeholder users to tasks in bulk because the feature only works for users with a license. So I'm wondering if this method is outdated and going to cause more trouble than it's worth to keep it set up this way. Any thoughts on better ways to manage these non-users? Beth Massura Assistant Director of Operations, Marketing The University of Chicago Booth School of Business 5807 South Woodlawn Avenue Chicago, Illinois 60637 Phone: 773.702.7598
3 Replies

Level 10
Yes - we sure do. We tend to use Roles for this kind of work, though. That way, if we really know the name of the human/user who will do that work, we can just assign it. Normally, however, we will never have a name and we leave the role there. I have business users here with a Review license that we assign to tasks. That way, we know the name of the person assigned to the task and the person never knows. We turn off all their notifications (now). I used to give them a fake email address so they never got notifications. If the day comes when they want to be involved, I turn on their notifications or I fix their email address and viola! they are in the system and working. We do what you are suggesting every day, all day. Thanks! Eric

Level 2
Thanks for the input! Do the PMs keep track of the tasks that have either just a role or non-user assigned? Do they use the project's task list or a particular dashboard? Beth Massura Assistant Director of Operations, Marketing The University of Chicago Booth School of Business 5807 South Woodlawn Avenue Chicago, Illinois 60637 Phone: 773.702.7598

Level 10
Hi - For us, the PMs keep track of the progress on the tasks assigned to people who do not report progress using a timesheet (we call them the business users). The project manager uses the project task list to know who is working on what. The business users, however, do not generally use WorkFront at all to know what is expected of them. As it turns out, the PM lets them know in various meetings and through email what is expected of them. We’d much prefer people to have their expectations set through WorkFront, or at least validated through WorkFront, as doing so would reduce the number and length of meetings to assign work. We would prefer people spend time engaged in working on deliverables and not spend time dealing with the bureaucracy of managing work in the meetings. Hope this helps! Eric