Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

PDP and review processes

Level 3
Interested to know if anyone is using Workfront to manage things like staff reviews and personal development? I'm currently building out some processes - a combination of projects, request queues, custom forms and dashboards - and would be good to hear if anyone else has any tips or insights. Thanks! Stephanie Mulrooney Tomorrow People
2 Replies

Community Advisor
I love this idea. Since most organizations track this annually, it makes sense to create a project for each user that sets up milestones on a quarterly basis and actually adds the specific development activity to a user's workload. Too often at review time a PDP is made, only to be forgotten until the review cycle is over, at which point both the user and their leader are reminded that they put together a great plan that neither followed up on. This introduces more accountability on both sides. Projects and reports/dashboards lend themselves easily to this concept, but I'm curious to know what kinds of request queues you have in mind for this? My first thought would be to contain all user's PDP project in a Development Portfolio for easier reporting and to separate T&D activities from project activities. You could also leverage project templates, such as onboarding new employees. If all users must have a core set of skills, those are added to the user's PDP project by attaching a "First 90 days" template, where each skill is listed as a task. As the user is verified for each skill, the task is marked done. We have a form of this already for onboarding/offboarding employees to ensure no procedural steps are overlooked. (Did you get Fred's laptop before he left? / No, I thought you did!) Please share your final design and I'd love to steal some ideas from that :) William English
If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf

Level 3
Okay, so far we have: A PDP project for each member of staff. This tracks quarterly review meetings, and allocates time for staff and managers to do the relevant prep work. It also collates all the below info from custom forms and request queues. Custom forms We've also used custom forms to capture review information in Workfront, rather than having lots of docs flying around that get lost and end up not being looked at. We have a scorecard for the manager to fill in and add notes on core objectives, and also a self-evaluation for the reviewee to fill in which asks key questions about their goals and achievements. We're using a standard set of criteria across all roles so that we can start to see where our strengths and weaknesses are across the agency over time, although we may build in additional role-specific criteria in the future as well. A PDP dashboard for each member of staff. This tracks their progress QonQ, so we can easily see improvements and issues over time. This will then be used as the structure/agenda for the quarterly review meetings. A PDP log request queue for each member of staff. This allows people to plan and track anything relating to professional development. So, for example, users can request approval on training courses from their line manager, plan time for research and learning, and track achievements and milestones. They can also log concerns and issues, either for immediate review by their line manager, or to discuss at their next review meeting. This queue feeds directly in to the dashboards above. I've attached the internal presentation we used to launch this out to staff, n case it's of interest to anyone! Stephanie Mulrooney Tomorrow People