Expand my Community achievements bar.

Ongoing Tasks?

Level 3
Hi all, I was wondering if there is a way to create a Project or Task that is ongoing (no end date). This would be something like the General Hours categories that are included in the timesheet. What I am trying to do is allocate hours for Research and Development, this would be separate from what we use the General Overhead and Professional Developments for. We have a few people on the team that use a chunk of their time to research either specific projects or doing general research. We want to be able to track the amount of time they are spending on these tasks separate from their "normal" assigned tasks, but we do not have an "end date" for this. If this is a feature, I would love to be assisted on how to accomplish this. If it is not a feature, I would like to suggest it. :) Nicole Medenilla Intuitive Surgical, Inc.
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

3 Replies

Level 10
I don't know of that feature, but we just either set the duration to a year and keep logging hours to the task or just ignore the Planned Completion Date. If your Planned Completion Date is past due it doesn't hurt anything (provided you don't have any predecessors set). So you can ignore the date, or if causes you heartburn to have the date past due, you can put it out by a year (or 5) and update it when it comes up again. Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT | Sr. IT Project Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT

Level 9
We have a similar situation and have done something similar to what Vic has suggested. We create a task, assign people, have them pin it to their time sheet and close it. We allow them to log time to a closed task and this way it doesn't sit at the bottom of their 'my work' area and they don't have to worry about committing to/accepting new commit dates. Drew Conklin Reliant

Level 3
Thank you Vic and Drew for your advice, I am going to go ahead and set the task end date to end a year from now and will extend it as need be. Nicole Medenilla Intuitive Surgical, Inc.