Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

New Custom Field Sharing Display

Employee

Good morning,

I had a meeting with my SME group yesterday to go over the next release. One of the features that I wanted to cover was the new display message for shared custom fields. When I logged in to preview earlier this week, it was there. Yesterday it was not.

@Kyna Baker - inactive‚ - I wasn't able to catch the name of the product manager on the video - is this still being released?

Thanks!0694X00000FSl61QAD.jpg

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

7 Replies

Employee

Hi Sarah,

I'm tracking down the product manager over this feature to get some insight! Stay tuned.

Kyna

Employee

Hey @Sarah Nau‚,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'm sorry to hear that there are challenges with that functionality. I wanted to confirm that the mentioned capability is a part of the 21.4 release and should be available in both Preview and Production environments. If you still can't see that, please submit a case for us to investigate and solve.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience.

Thanks,

Gevorg

Employee

Hi Gevorg,

I heard back from support:

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your patience. I was able to confirm with our product team that calculated fields are not included in this new enhancement that was released with 21.4. I would recommend submitting an idea to our innovation lab if you would like to see calculated fields have this option as well possibly in the future.

Prior to the release, all shared fields displayed a pop-up if they were used on multiple custom forms. I believe this feature is as or more important for calculated fields. In order to change a calculation on a field that is on multiple forms, you need to remove the field from all but one form, change the calculation, then re-add the field to all of the forms it was on.

Can we at lease get the pop-up that says it is on multiple forms back even if we can't get the new listing feature for calculated fields?

Thanks!

Employee

Hi @Sarah Nau‚,

I apologize for the confusion around this capability.

I believe there are few points that we need to clarify:

1. Calculated custom fields never had the tooltip mentioning those are used on multiple custom forms. The reason for that is that calculated expressions are specific to the custom form and not custom fields so that changes to the formula do not impact other custom forms.
  2. I'm curious to learn more about the workflow for changing the calculation that you've mentioned. The thing is that you should be able to edit the calculated field without the need to remove and re-add it. I'd love to have more details on that.

I'm happy to jump on a call to have a deep dive into that and assist you with anything I can.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Gevorg

Employee

Hi Gevorg,

I checked with a couple other admins here and we all really think there was a tooltip for calculated fields.

When you want to change a calculation on a custom field that is used on multiple forms, you get this error:

0694X00000FT40CQAT.jpgYou can add a new field with the new calculation or you can remove the field from all forms except for one, change the calculation, then add back to all forms. I was really excited about this new feature for this reason in particular.

Happy to hop on a call as well!

Employee

Hey Sarah,

I apologize for the delay in my response. I was doing some more investigation on the topic.

Unfortunately, I could not find anything in the platform's code that indicates that the calculation field had the capability to display that warning message.

On the other item, this error message is very specific and is only happening in a special use case. Otherwise, you should be able to freely adjust the formula without the need to remove the field from all other custom forms.

The special use case is only there when you have the same custom calculated field with the same calculation formula on 2 different custom forms attached to a single object. That is there to prevent having the same field with different formulas on a single object.

I hope this is helpful, and I'm happy to jump on a call to walk you through these details if you're interested.

Thanks,

Gevorg