Expand my Community achievements bar.

New Column for a Blank Text field

Level 2
Hello! I am interested in building off of the Standard View within a project, and would like to create a column that adds a blank text field, where a user could input a ticket number from another service we are utilizing. Is this possible? I am new to the text mode, so I am not familiar with how to create that. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you, Dagan Peterson Mountain West Farm Bureau MIC
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Level 10
Are all the objects the same (Issue or Task)? If so, you could create a Custom Form with the field you want (you don't need Text Mode), just add the Text field. The form can have just that one field if you want. Then there's a cool feature in Workfront that just magically happens. If you change your Project View to include this new field. Someone can view the line item in the Project view, see the blank field, enter their ticket number, and Workfront will automatically attach the form to the Task or Issue for you behind the scenes (with the field in it of course). So it would be transparent to your users. They would just see the field, enter their data and be done. Is that what you're looking for, or did I miss a requirement somewhere? �� Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT | Sr. IT Project Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT

Level 10
Hi Vic, Just a couple words of caution on the cool feature you mentioned, wherein Workfront automatically assigns a custom form to an object when you populate the first parameter ever used on a custom form in a list view... 1. If the field in question is used on multiple forms, Workfront will associate one of them (at random) when the field is populated. The only way I know of to coerce it into picking the form you want is to provide an intentionally unique-to-one-form parameter and teach folks to always populate it first (which is a bit tenuous). 2. Last week, in a related story, a user populated a parameter in a list view in this fashion, thereby (inadvertently) associating a second form that had that parameter on it with the Project. We discovered the error when we tried to make an update to a calculated field that was on both forms, and were denied the change: the same calculated parameter cannot have different formulas if any object points to two versions of the calc. We had to track down the Project with the superfluous category, remove it, and then make the calc change. Regards, Doug

Level 10
Yeah good point. I failed to mention that in the instances we've used this feature we've made the field unique to that form to avoid exactly what you're talking about. Good catch. Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT | Sr. IT Project Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT

Level 4
We do this exact thing all the time. We also have other systems we want to reference in Workfront. The way we capture and view this data is by utilizing a custom form field as Vic recommended. The steps are going to look something like this: 1) Create Custom Form [For example, if you only need to reference the ticket number as related to the overall project, then you will create a project custom form. If there are going to be multiple tickets that need to linked to various tasks within the project, then you will want a task custom form]. 2) Create/Add New Field [most likely a single text box] 3) Save 4) Go back to the project or template and attach the custom form 5) Customize the 'Standard View' and add the new field you created 6) Save as New View 7) Share this new view with anyone who needs to see and manage the field 8) Make sure the audience updates their view as needed Now you can report of this data as well. Capturing data this way and updating our views by pulling in the custom fields works very well for us. I hope this gives you what you are looking for. Jaclyn Reiter PMP Equifax, Inc.