Expand my Community achievements bar.

New Calendar on My Work tab

Level 1
I loved the old calendar, and the function of it was much better. It was much easier to see the full list of tasks for the upcoming week, sorted by day. Is there any way to go back? Or if not, is there a way to simply hide the new one? The new one distracts from the over all point of the calendar. I need to know specifically what I have due this week, and if tasks have 3 month durations, they shouldn't show at the top of the Working On calendar, in my opinion. Anyone have any suggestions?
30 Replies

Level 10
Hi Brooke. To which calendar (old vs new) are you referring? Could you provide a screenshot of either or both? Regards, Doug

Level 8
I gave feedback as well to have the option to hide the new calendar. Doug, this is the one we’re talking about: [cid:image001.png@01D243D3.731852A0]

Level 10
Hi Brooke, For right now, you just need to remove yourself from EA to get rid of the calendar as it is not in GA yet. I find your feedback interesting though because our employees have expressed the opposite view point. They didn't like the old calendar because it used commitment date which was never right (or schedules change all the time, but that is a different story/issue) and they want to see all "active" tasks they have today not just what is due. We have run into issues where a task requires a ton of hours and the employee doesn't "know" about it until it is too late so they have to work late or we have to pull someone in to help them. [And to be fair, we don't have tasks that go over 3 months so that might be why it isn't a big deal for us. A week is like the longest task we have] For the few projects we have experimented with the resource contouring, it is great because the employee can see that today they need to spend the bulk of their time on Task A and leave Task B for tomorrow. If they just see that both A and B were due tomorrow, there could be issues.

Level 10
Gotcha: thanks, Adina. Now I see the difference in the My Work calendar -- I'd not seen the latest release yet. Regards, Doug

Level 10
Hi Brooke, Like Anthony, our view of the new My Work calendar is so far very positive. We strongly disliked the old one because it only showed the commit dates and gave no visibility to users of when they should be working on things. We told users not to pay any attention to it because it just confused them. Our main feedback to improve the new My Work calendar is to allow users to collapse it down to thin bars (like the ability exists on the new Scheduling screen) if they want to. There is also some room for improvement regarding efficiently using white space....e.g. if task dates are not overlapping then they should be fit on one line where possible, rather than going down the page and requring the user to scroll. Anyways....our vote is very much for the new calendar..... :) Regards, David

Level 1
I completely agree with Brooke on this one. I used the old calendar everyday. I don't find the new calendar useful at all.

Level 3
Brooke - I am thankful that its still in early production - the new My Work calendar is USELESS for our purposes and I have shared that feedback with WorkFront. I am already working to try and figure out how to replicate it in some sort of view for my users with not much luck. The only direction I've gotten is to sort the 'My tasks' by commit date - which is NOT the point. In a glance you could see what you committed to that day and what you got done the prior day/week. This was rolled out too quickly with the major flaw of NOT being able to retain the original view, in my humble opinion. Connie

Level 10
Interesting to see the very different ways that Workfront is used, as some of us customers feel very strongly in opposing directions in regards to the new and old My Work Calendars. I could well be wrong, but I recall reading that Workfront are planning to let users control in their settings whether they see the old or new calendar. If this goes ahead then both camps should be happy. Here's hoping :)

Level 3
I'm late to the dance here, but I submitted my feedback to Workfront some days ago. I am not a fan of the new calendar, and would fully support the option to keep the old version. A couple of comments, which I have not seen in this string thus far follow, and I'd be interested in learning if anyone else has had similar thoughts (or am I an outlier). 1. Color coding tasks doesn't help me much as a user if all it tells me is "these tasks all belong to the same project." Tell me the task is behind, tell me the task is complete, but I have lots of projects, and if I can't see -- at a glance -- what the project is these tasks go with, the color-coding is meaningless. Please remember the almost 10 percent of the population is color blind. Color coding is useless at best and confusing at its worst. 3. Tasks that are behind should be flagged as such -- turn them red or gray or put a screen over them. Find a way to telegraph to me what is behind in my queue. 4. Make it easy to find what I marked complete yesterday, last Tuesday, two weeks ago. The current (old style) calendar is very helpful when answering the "when did I do that?" question. It's quick ... far faster than going to the project and finding the task in question.The calendar with the color bars, again, so much scrolling back and forth and up and down.

Level 10
Whilst I still prefer the new calendar to the old one, I agree with Michelle's comments regarding colours. I think it would be very handy (especially if a configurable option) to be able to choose to have task colours display their Progress Status OR alternatively which project they are from as they do now.

Level 10
Hi Michelle. Further to David's comments (and spelling) of allowing users to choose colours, I invite you to consider our Draggable Calendar solution, in case it is a good fit for your requirements. Regards Doug

Level 10
Glad you appreciated the correct spelling of col ou r, Doug :P

Level 1

Howdy howdy howdy!

There is some great feedback in this list. Thank you all. To introduce myself, I am the designer working on this feature. I really appreciate everyone's feedback and hope to continue the discussion as we iterate and improve on the calendar in preparation for release.

For those of you that are not satisfied with the current version of the MyWork Calendar, you can rest easy, we won't be releasing it as is. You are only seeing because you are signed up for Early Access. If you remove yourself from EA you will be back to the trusty old calendar.

To speak to the direction that we are heading. We are working to provide two improved calendar options to user. The first is closest to what you currently see in EA and it utilizes the task view that spans multiple dates and shows user allocation. This also comes from Resource Scheduling. The second view will be closer to what we have currently but will allow the users to customize what they are seeing. In both views we will have settings to allow people to choose what types of work they are seeing. Completed tasks, issues, etc. We also are giving the functionality to control the height of the calendar and even turn it off completely üôÄ.

We are still fine tuning all of these settings and the designs. I'd like to give you guys a peek at what we are doing. I might get in trouble for it though so if this post disappears you will know why.

If you would be interested in helping us test these new designs, and settings for what shows up in the calendars just respond to this post and as we get closer to having the next version built I will include you in our validation schedule.

P.S. As for the colors and colours, I agree that color should not be used alone to specify difference, status, condition, or information. That being said, I got bored designing in subdued blues and grays so we threw in some color to liven things up. We will play with allowing people to change their colors and the meaning of them. We also tested the colors for proper contrast so that our colorblind users can distinguish between projects without having to worry about having similar shades that could confuse. We also played with a colorblind mode, similar to what Trello does so well, allowing patterns and color to be the differentiator. Just some thoughts on color from your friendly neighborhood colorblind designer. 0690z000007ZkEpAAK.png

Level 3
I'm in!! I'd definitely be willing to be part of the validation of this. Connie

Level 3
It would be churlish of me to say no to your request for testers, given I was so vocal in my concerns. I'll help in any way I can. I appreciate the feed back AND all the work you've put into this so far. Thanks!

Level 10
In. Thanks, Doug On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 4:15 PM, Michelle Yard < globalforum@communitylists.workfront.com> wrote: > It would be churlish of me to say no to your request for testers, given I > was so vocal in my concerns. I'll help in any way I can. I appreciate the > feed back AND all the work you've put into this so far. Thanks! > > -----End Original Message----- >

Level 10
Absolutely Mike - I'm very keen to assist with any and all testing and feedback! Keep up the good work. By the way - how did you insert the emoticons in your post? Cheers

Level 8
Count me in! I currently have it hidden, and am liking the new “no color” option you shared.

Level 1
Thank you everyone for your interest! We will be in touch with all of you! David, I work on a Mac and can access the "Emoji & Symbols" menu by hitting ^⌘Space 👾🐵🌝

Level 1
Hello everyone! I know that those of you in this thread are some of the most passionate about My Work and the calendar in My Work. So I think that some of you will be happy to see that the changes are no longer present in Preview and we are not moving forward with them at this moment. The official announcement about it can be found here https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000811768#updated-calendare-in-the-my-work-area . That being said, we are currently working on and researching improvements to My Work. Rather than just improving the calendar we have decided to put more of a focus on all of My Work and revamping it. I will be starting a new thread here in community next week to start talking about how people use My Work today and where it succeeds and where it fails. I hope to include all of you in the conversations and validation that I am working on. I hope I was able to speak with some of you at Leap and show you where we are heading. I'm really excited to be working on this and I can't wait to keep the conversation going.