Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

nAg mODe foR updATeS !

Level 10
If you're reading this, there's a good chance it's because of my messy, unusual title, and that it unconsciously drew you in to this first sentence. You noticed, without noticing: as I'd intended. For better or worse, we are all getting pretty adept at picking up on such irregularities on computer screens, especially thanks to the annoying red circles on our phones showing there's an update or an unread message. Love 'em or hate 'em though, they work: eventually, they bug us enough to take action. That said: on with my story. This evening, one of my colleagues at Workfront asked me the following: My client is looking for a way to make notifications within Workfront more "in your face." Initial ideas were having something like blinking, a sound effect, or pop-ups (not sure how I feel about that last one). Do you have anything along those lines already built or do you have any ideas of what you could do to make notifications more prevalent for them? I mulled it over for a bit, and then -- with a tip of my hat to Craig Lanthrop's post last month to "https://community.workfront.com/p/fo/st/topic=39&post=1222#p1222">Make Workfront Full Screen (in Chrome) -- I extended his concept by adding this little snippet at the bottom of the initial Stylebot Options he'd provided: .notification-count.unacknowledged { height: 80px; } The result is shown in the screenshot below: from now on, whenever I have at least one unread Workfront update, it gets "annoyingly long" (but not "rediculously long"), drawing my attention and incenting me to check and acknowledge all messages, thereby returning the height to normal. As with my title, it offends our sense of aesthetics and calls us to action. So! If you're looking to reinforce "Workfront Good; Email Bad", I invite you to try it out! Regards, Doug
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Level 2
Doug - That's awesome!! I'm saving this tip for later discussion. If you figure out a way to trigger an electric shock to them, let me know! ;)

Level 8
That's a really great idea. Have you guys thought about having a piece of toast pop on on a person's screen when they have a notification? I personally love that idea.

Level 10
Thanks everyone. Just a personal check in on this one. I've been using this Nag Mode for a couple of weeks now, and am pleased (kinda?) to confirm that it is REALLY effective: the little bit of extra height I added on the Notificatation box catches my eye every time I come in, and annoys me just enough that I've changed my behavior and always review and clear them as my first step upon login. So! For the 5 minutes it takes to set up, pound for pound, this is one of the cheapest and most effective email killer solutions I've ever come up with. I encourage you to try it out yourself! Regards, Doug