Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Multiple Users With Same Name

Level 3
Hi All We have hundreds of users within our instance, so inevitably we have a few users with the same first/last name. I know it is easy to differentiate between these users by using the global search and hovering over the name, however how can this be done if im looking to assign a project/task etc.... It would be good to have a people picker option where at least the first/last name + email address could be visible in order to make the correct selection. Just wondering if anyone has any other ways of making assignments that would remove this confusion? Thanks Jonathan Thain BT Group
4 Replies

Level 10
wow yeah... that's kind of tough. The only things I can suggest is that potentially you might be able to cut out a lot of folks by first assigning roles to your tasks or issues -- this does assume that your doppelgangers don't have the same role though (so you can't have two designers called John Smith... or maybe you can get a bit more granular with your designer roles). So basically, assign the role first and then when you try and fill it, smart assignments should only pull up the names that have that role ( https://experience.workfront.com/s/article/Understanding-Smart-Assignments-1647114780 ) If there's not already an Idea in the Idea Exchange though, definitely put one in there and I am happy to upvote that to help make that functionality more scaleable. -skye

Level 3
Hi Skye The main issue we have is that these users with the same name are generally have a request licence and therefore have no roles (and are auto-provisioned using SSO). Within our team it is not so much of an issue as we have clear roles (plus we don't have an users with the same name that have Planner/Work licences), but if we want to set the user who requested the work as an approver of a document/project sponsor/tag them in an update this is where we find the issue. Also due to our setup we expect the user base to continue to grow for those who request work into us (in theory if everyone in the company came to us just for one request our user base would be over 100,000, but I don't expect that to happen!). I found this on the idea exchange, so I have up-voted: Show email addresses of individuals when you hover over their name when directing an Update I would be grateful for anyone else reading this to do the same (and add any comments as I have done on there) Thanks Jonathan Thain BT Group

Level 10
Interesting... since we are integrated with our financial system, even our reviewers have job roles and job titles. This helps for most areas as you can see that info. However, as you mentioned, when you tag someone, you don't see that. We have avatars with different colors based on the business unit. So like if John Smith is with FCB Chicago, he has a red JS, but John Smith with FCBCURE has purple, and John Smith with Neon has blue. That has been great for us, but our different business units have their own branding so everyone knows which color is for them. Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 7
Hi Jonathan, I have a customer that I support that has a similar issue, with well over 100k users in the system (not all of them paid licenses!) Their solution is to have their company's user ID in their last name, much like so: First name: Dustin Last name: Martin [dumar] This for them has reduced a lot of the issues of having people with the same name... Can you imagine how many John Smiths must be out there? Good luck! Thanks, Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront