Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Looking for Text Mode to SUM up custom data on all Issues related to a Task

Level 7
HI, Just wondering if anyone has written some calc code for a calculation field that SUMs up all the values in a custom data field that is populated on the custom form of Issues that are created on the Task. I have requests being made in the Issues tab on tasks and I want to calculate the total amount of the values in this custom field for all issues (opTasks) being submitted on the task. Is this possible? Regards, Steve Steven Hirsch The Estee Lauder Companies Inc
3 Replies

Level 4
Steve, If you create a view on the Issues tab that shows all the fields (as columns) that you want to see and you make sure the fields that need to be summed are set to sum, and then you group by the task name, it will sum the data you are looking for on that task. The other option is to create an issue report, grouped by Source Task Name and you will get it to sum as well. I hope this helps! David DAVID A. TAYLOR Founder & Managing Consultant

Level 7
Thanks David, I did get that far on my test report. I was actually after the ability to conditionally format the SUM value. I can't SUM up a nested collection of values and conditionally format the result so I was trying to build a calc field that I can run tests against. Can I conditionally format the SUM result of the grouping by testing this SUM against the Duration of the host Task? I want to show when the SUM of all the submitted agenda time requests exceeds the Duration of the meeting task that contains these requests by turning the summed value Red. Regards, Steve Steven Hirsch The Estee Lauder Companies Inc

Level 10
Hi Steve, Building on David's suggestions, once you have the summed values (either way), you could then manually update those amounts in numeric custom parameters at the Task level. Stored as such, you could then do all of the usual kinds of things with it: report on them, chart them, even refer to them in calculated data (e.g. on the Issue level, you could create a calculated parameter that shows the % contribution that each Issue made as a portion of the total at the Task level). Where it gets really interesting, though, is to automate such calculations using either the API or our "http://store.atappstore.com/product/ubercalc/">UberCalc solution. We developed a similar technique to: take the data driven "value weightings" (e.g. 0 to 100) of each Project within a Portfolio take the average of all Projects within each Portfolio and store it in a special Average Project Value (APV) custom parameter use advanced conditional formatting to highlight those Projects whose value weighting is above (green), near (yellow) or below (red) APV Noting that the value weightings were ever changing (and of course, new Projects appeared continually), doing so then made it possible to prioritize and focus on "today's" most valuable Portfolios, and within that, "today's" most valuable Projects, and obvious when to move on (yellow/red) to the next Portfolio. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads