Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Logging hours to Project level only, not project and task.

Level 4
Hi! I am wondering if anyone has been able to determine if it's possible to show JUST the project level entry on timesheets vs. having to show both project and task? I went so far as even trying to remove "logged hours" on the project settings in the advanced options for contribute access and ONLY having logged hours selected on contribute access for the Project, but when I logged in as the user, it still shows an ability to log time to both the project and the task. I'm testing in our preview environment so as not to make a system-wide change unnanounced for the purpose of testing -- and it SEEMS like that functionality exists -- but just not working. Maybe it's a bug in preview? Wanted to see if anyone else has figured this out. :) Thanks! Allie Durham
10 Replies

Level 2
Good question, I'm curious as well. Jonathan Hobbs Synchrony Creative - The Studio

Level 2
Good question, I'm curious as well. Jonathan Hobbs Synchrony Creative - The Studio

Level 7
Hiya Allie, The reason your users can log time at the task level after removing access via the task sharing, is because of the inherited permissions on the task. If you give the user permissions at the project, it'll drop down into the task under inherited permissions. You can remove inherited permissions, just know you'll be removing a lot of access for a lot of users. I have to admit, I haven't heard of a company wanting time logged to a project instead of a task, most of my clients tend to have a single task if they want to do something similar to that. Just a thought. Hope this helps! Thanks, Dustin Martin Tier 2 Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 7
Hiya Allie, The reason your users can log time at the task level after removing access via the task sharing, is because of the inherited permissions on the task. If you give the user permissions at the project, it'll drop down into the task under inherited permissions. You can remove inherited permissions, just know you'll be removing a lot of access for a lot of users. I have to admit, I haven't heard of a company wanting time logged to a project instead of a task, most of my clients tend to have a single task if they want to do something similar to that. Just a thought. Hope this helps! Thanks, Dustin Martin Tier 2 Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 10
HI Allie We struggled with something similar last year. Currently Workfront's timesheet only lets you restrict hours from the project level and not the task level. I can offer you a couple of suggestions: 1) We use a Workfront Partner application from the guys at the AttAppstore @Doug Den Hoed , called the Uber Timesheet. It is highly customize-able and Doug and his team are great to work with you. We have been using it for nearly a year and have had great success. 2) Use customized Project & Task sharing. This remove the ability to log hours at the task level and still allow logging hours at the project level. The tasks will show up on the timesheet but will be "greyed" out. This set up does work but I highly discourage it if you have more then 5-10 projects. The amount of time it takes to maintain this for more than 10 projects is one of the reasons we went for the UberTimesheet. I added Doug Den Hoed to the thread if you wanted to reach out to him or have more technical questions. If you still interested in approach #2, I am happy to talk offline and give more details. Michael Lebowitz GuideWell Connect

Level 10
HI Allie We struggled with something similar last year. Currently Workfront's timesheet only lets you restrict hours from the project level and not the task level. I can offer you a couple of suggestions: 1) We use a Workfront Partner application from the guys at the AttAppstore @Doug Den Hoed , called the Uber Timesheet. It is highly customize-able and Doug and his team are great to work with you. We have been using it for nearly a year and have had great success. 2) Use customized Project & Task sharing. This remove the ability to log hours at the task level and still allow logging hours at the project level. The tasks will show up on the timesheet but will be "greyed" out. This set up does work but I highly discourage it if you have more then 5-10 projects. The amount of time it takes to maintain this for more than 10 projects is one of the reasons we went for the UberTimesheet. I added Doug Den Hoed to the thread if you wanted to reach out to him or have more technical questions. If you still interested in approach #2, I am happy to talk offline and give more details. Michael Lebowitz GuideWell Connect

Level 4
Hi Michael! Thanks for this feedback! What you've mentioned in #2 is actually what I was trying to do but it wasn't functioning for me...so I was really hoping it was a bug. In talking to the Product Owner, per my Support team, apparently that functionality is intended as it is purposefully giving "inherited access" from the projects to the task. Curious, how long ago were you able to use the functionality as described in #2? Also, did you attempt managing said permissions at the template level? I figured we'd just set them in our templates so they are always set correctly and we wont have to worry about it. Curious on your feedback for that approach (assuming we can make this "bug", function!) Allie Durham

Level 4
Hi Michael! Thanks for this feedback! What you've mentioned in #2 is actually what I was trying to do but it wasn't functioning for me...so I was really hoping it was a bug. In talking to the Product Owner, per my Support team, apparently that functionality is intended as it is purposefully giving "inherited access" from the projects to the task. Curious, how long ago were you able to use the functionality as described in #2? Also, did you attempt managing said permissions at the template level? I figured we'd just set them in our templates so they are always set correctly and we wont have to worry about it. Curious on your feedback for that approach (assuming we can make this "bug", function!) Allie Durham

Level 4
Hi Dustin!! Long time no chat! The reasons we are looking at this are 2 fold: 1) We are trying to optimize the user experience, as our most recent user surveys have been negative with regards to timesheet entry at the task level. Users arent used to seeing that many places to have to enter time, and they are overwhelmed by the choices. Due to this -- the data we are getting back isn't accurate because several people are just billing time at the first available task -- and not actually doing the timesheets correctly. 2) The other main reason we want to do project level time is that task level time entry via mobile is so difficult. (i.e. you have to go into the particular project and log time there, vs. on the timesheet itself -- like you can via desktop). We were told that if we did time entry at the project level, we would be able to use the mobile app more like the desktop version. Can you confirm? Curious -- since we still have to resource at the task level, in your previous experience -- how are people getting around the tons of extra tasks their team has to wade through to bill time if they go with the All Hours task as suggested? Thanks for the help!! Allie Durham

Level 4
Hi Dustin!! Long time no chat! The reasons we are looking at this are 2 fold: 1) We are trying to optimize the user experience, as our most recent user surveys have been negative with regards to timesheet entry at the task level. Users arent used to seeing that many places to have to enter time, and they are overwhelmed by the choices. Due to this -- the data we are getting back isn't accurate because several people are just billing time at the first available task -- and not actually doing the timesheets correctly. 2) The other main reason we want to do project level time is that task level time entry via mobile is so difficult. (i.e. you have to go into the particular project and log time there, vs. on the timesheet itself -- like you can via desktop). We were told that if we did time entry at the project level, we would be able to use the mobile app more like the desktop version. Can you confirm? Curious -- since we still have to resource at the task level, in your previous experience -- how are people getting around the tons of extra tasks their team has to wade through to bill time if they go with the All Hours task as suggested? Thanks for the help!! Allie Durham