Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Job Roles and BAU vs Project Availability

Level 6
Hi I am new to Workfront and looking for some feedback regarding the 'Primary Role' and 'Other Roles' functionality. I am wondering whether anyone is using these to differentiate between Business As Usual (BAU) and Project availability. For example, we may have a person who has the job role of Designer but spends 75% of their time on BAU work and is therefore only available for project work 25% of their time. Would it therefore work to have 'BAU - Designer' 75% as their Primary Role and 'Proj - Designer' 25% as their Other Role. For Project related tasks the PMs would initially allocate these using the global role type 'Proj - Designer'. Thanks for any advice you can give. Jane Bradshaw BAKKAVOR LTD
3 Replies

Level 10
I'm sure there will be much better answers from others in the group, so I'd wait for their input. But you could certainly do what you propose below. The only downsides I can see offhand are that you have to be careful when you assign the person to a Task/Issue that you also ensure they have the correct role associated with that assignment. Then also of course you have to create two roles for each role. If you don't have many roles that's no big deal, but something to consider. We don't do it that way, but frankly I think we're weak in this area. We just tell people they're splitting their time 50% project work and 50% BAU (we call it something different but same thing). So we tell PM's that anyone that isn't 100% dedicated/assigned to the project and are also doing Scrum Team work, they should only count that person as 50% or less (and that allocation should be negotiated with the person's supervisor). And basically we manually calculate their Task Durations based on their allocation that's been assigned. It worked ok for our needs and where we are in the PM maturity model. But yeah, there's certainly a better way. Then we would check the Capacity Planning to see if any person or role is overloaded and adjust projects from there. As I said we're not great at this piece, so I'd be interested to hear what others have to say.

Level 4
Yes, I think we do something along the lines of Vic. Each group has their own BAU project where they are assigned year long tasks that add up to their BAU allocation. So, one task would have 25% of their year (let's say Server Reboots) and another 25% on another task (say Patching). Then, when doing capacity planning you only have 50% of their total availability "free" for Project work anyway. Now, this does mean someone needs to be regularly checking those capacity planning numbers to be sure someone doesn't get over allocated but at least you can see when that happens. I agree with Vic that keeping track of which role they are assigned and thus seeing accurate capacity would be difficult. Jason Maust McGuireWoods LLP

Level 6
Thanks Vic and Jason for your feedback. That's definitely given me something to consider as I don't want to over-complicate things. Jane Bradshaw BAKKAVOR LTD