Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Is Duration and Planned hours related on project schedule?

Level 3
Is Duration and Planned hours related on project schedule? Or What is the best way we can use duration and planned hours? For example, when I try to add planned hours into task, some task(Own created into project level) duration calculate automatically. But template task doesn't calculate duration automatically. As system admin, I want to know that what is the best way user can schedule duration and planned hours. Please see Attached document.
2 Replies

Level 10
Hi: The duration is the number of work days the work will be done in. The Planned Hours are the number of labor hours everyone will expend over that duration. For example: 1) We have a duration of five work days. We have six people on the task, each working forty hours. We have a total of (6 people * 40 hours/person) = 240 planned hours that will be expended over five work days. 2) We have a duration of one work day. We have one person working five hours. We have (1 person * 4 hours/person) = 4 planned labor hours expended over one work day. 3) We have a duration of ten work days. We have two people working two hours per day. (2 people * 2 hours/day * 10 work days) = 40 planned labor hours expended over those ten work days. Does that help? Your next question relates to the Task Duration Type. There was a fun discussion on Task Duration Types in the General Forum. Click HERE< ">https://community.workfront.com/p/fo/st/topic=39&post=3934#p3934> or go to the General Forum and search on Task Duration Type. Look for a thread called “How is Duration Calculated?” Let me know if that doesn’t answer your questions. Eric

Level 10
Egads! MY digital calculator (my fingers) failed me again! In example 2, below, if we work five hours in one work day, it isn’t 4 planned labor hours, its five. The corrected line is: 2) We have a duration of one work day. We have one person working five hours. We have (1 person * 5 hours/person) = 5 planned labor hours expended over one work day. Ugh. Sorry about that. Eric