Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Is anyone using Kanban?

Level 10
I use Trello at the moment so have been looking at the Kanban features in Workfront. There's a few things that I don't quite understand.. There's an option to "Breakdown Story" but it seems to create additional stories rather than what I would expect which is it to create tasks. Can I create tasks from the Team page? Following on from the above, when I have broken-down a story into more stories, in the Kanban Board's backlog column I then have - with no differentiation of which is the parent or not - both the parent story and the sub-stories. Am I meant to be able to drag a parent story without having also dragged at least 1 sub-story? How would that be useful? (Maybe links into me expecting the children to be sub-tasks instead) Why is parent project a mandatory field? There's stuff I track on Trello that in Workfront I wouldn't want to create a project called "Continuous Improvement", but looks like I might have to. Jamie Hill JLL
2 Replies

Level 10
Hi Jamie, We haven't started using the Kan Ban function yet, but we've used the Agile Scrum for over 3 years now and they're kinda similar. So I can kinda answer some questions. There's an option to "Breakdown Story" but it seems to create additional stories rather than what I would expect which is it to create tasks. Can I create tasks from the Team page? Yes, you can create a task from the Team page under Backlog > New Story. A Story = a Task = a Backlog item. Following on from the above, when I have broken-down a story into more stories, in the backlog I then have - with no differentiation of which is the parent or not - both the parent story and the sub-stories. Am I meant to be able to drag a parent story without having also dragged a sub-story? How would that be useful? (Maybe links into me expecting the children to be sub-tasks instead). This was the case with Scrum a few years ago and they improved it. As Kan Ban is a new feature I suspect they're still developing it to act similarly to Scrum but aren't there yet. Though I would hope WF would chime in here to confirm. Why is parent project a mandatory field? There's stuff I track on Trello that in Workfront I wouldn't want to create a project called "Jamie's To-dos", but looks like I might have to. This is just a function of the tool. It's been that way since we've had it. It was explained to us that Issues and Tasks need to have a home and that home is a Project (which also drives access etc.). So we created special "bucket" projects to house these types of tasks. Each of our Scrum Teams has its own project called "[Team Name] Team Project". This naming standard lets us know it's not a "real" project. It's just a dumping ground to keep these tasks and issues. So no one ever looks at the project, they just view their tasks and issues in the Team View. Hope that makes sense and helps a little. Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT Program Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT

Level 2
Because the built-in board was not very intuitive, we made a retro/classic kanban work with WF. it has ended up being the first work mgmt process tied to WF that our developers actually use: here is a short explanation video: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwgYDhGzlcjQV1o4Y2lLQzhnQVk Michael Stewart PMP Samaritan's Purse