Expand my Community achievements bar.

Come join us for our Coffee Break this WEDNESDAY on top takeaways from Adobe Summit!

Internal / Misc. Task Tracking + Reporting

Level 4
Hi all, We just piloted the use of a template to track internal or miscellaneous tasks across our different regions. Previously a lot of PMs would input a separate project for each miscellaneous thing they did so it would be one project with one task and it caused our system to get very cluttered to be honest. So we made a template to be used monthly that combined our various categories of internal or miscellaneous tasks and had those as parent tasks. We want to be able to track the task related info such as which customer/client they did the task for, what type of task it is, sub-type, etc. via reporting but have found a lot of PMs are not happy about filling out a custom form for each of the tasks. Have any of you found ways to report on miscellaneous tasks without creating a lot of additional work or custom forms for the PMs? Thanks in advance! Beks Kiley Compass
4 Replies

Level 10
Hi Beks, I'd suggest a single "administrative" project with a few tasks that have planned completion dates far (years) into the future. I'm thinking tasks like: Meetings Training Etc. These tasks can be assigned to all of the users who'll need to log time to them. What this will do is create a persistent task across their timesheets, which can also be accomplished by searching for and adding a task from a timesheet. Hour types can be used to truly classify the hour entries from the timesheet if so desired. If others have different ways of handling this, I'd be interested to hear how. Thanks, Narayan Narayan Raum Workfront Delivery Lead - SunTrust Bank https://wf-pro.com for Text Mode & Solutions

Level 8
It sounds like you're going down a right track. What don't they like about filling in the custom form? There's a couple of things you might do (if you haven't already) to make it less fiddly for them. Firstly, in the template make sure that you specify the custom form needed to fill in (under 'Edit Template', 'Custom forms'). That way, they don't have to manually attach it. Secondly, make a custom view that has all the fields you need filled in, so that if they choose that view they can on-line edit most of the information. I don't know how your reporting/time recording is set up, but an alternative is to copy the custom task form as an issue form, and allow them to add the issue to existing projects for the same customer - it may cut down or remove the data entry component for them completely. Another approach would be a standing project per customer (rather than per PM) that all PM's have access to. You could create a filter for them (on category name if they have a special custom form, or portfolio if you put them all in one portfolio) to see just them, and another filter to exclude them. That might also eliminate some of the data entry you're asking of them. Barry Buchanan - WMA Work Management Australia

Level 4
Beks, We allow project managers to create a project and keep it ongoing for ad hoc and misc tasks. They also have a Completed Tasks project so they can archive older completed tasks. This keeps our reporting pretty accurate as we do want to show leadership the additional tasks outside formal projects that PMs are handling. Dr. Rochelle L. Webb, CSM Sr. Project Manager, Project Management Office MHMR Tarrant County Ft. Worth, Texas 817-569-4146

Level 2
Hi, we are in the process of creating an adhoc project for each user that we placed in a different portfolio called operations. This allows us to segment reporting to the portfolio level. Best Regards, Debbie Debbie Wurms Subway