Expand my Community achievements bar.

Idea Exchange / Prioritization Process

Level 4
We are reviewing our prioritization process for our TQM (Total Quality Management) group and I am researching some possible solutions. One of the solutions is to implement an Idea Exchange program where the internal employee (and possibly external suppliers and clients) can vote for future process and/or system enhancement ideas. We would then review the ideas voted on and prioritize requests based on the vote count and other factors. Basically, I believe this is what Workfront is doing with their own Idea Exchange site. Does anyone have any experience with this and how to integrate this within WF? Or a solution outside of Workfront, ideally SharePoint? Thanks, Nick Vivanco
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

2 Replies

Level 1
Hi Nick, I love this idea! We have a priority process for project requests, and we are regularly left with around 100 non-strategic requests that are good ideas but not worth the effort for one person. An idea exchange and voting might be perfect for this scenario. I wonder if it would be simple enough to create a request queue that functions like a thead or discussion board. Topics that generate more updates/comments would be higher priority. It would then be the responsibility of the requester to create a "buzz" around their idea. Marcie Long Members First Credit Union

Level 9
I think it is a good idea too. Would you be putting the ideas out there for people to vote or would they be coming up with the ideas themselves? A couple of things to consider from previous experience: 1. Build in time for administration of the ideas (i.e., reviewing them, making sure they are clear, getting clarification to ensure they are thorough) 2. One caution from previous experience is to make sure the process is equitable between large and small departments. A large department may have more voting power than a small one (which may be okay if they have more users of the processes). 3. Managing expectations if the volume of requests exceeds your capacity If you experience number 3 above, another option if your team is small and the volume of ideas is high (particularly the process ideas), consider a crowd sourcing approach to process development. Essentially a Wikipedia like repository of processes. There may be initial flux but should normalize over time. Then if someone has a particular interest in a process, he/she can develop it. I know this isn't exactly the ask but thought I would pass the suggestion along. SARA ROTHKOPF Marriott International