Expand my Community achievements bar.

Come join us for our Coffee Break this WEDNESDAY on top takeaways from Adobe Summit!

How to make task start date automatically change based on predecessor Actual Completion Date?

Level 2
I would like some of our non-deadline project schedules to automatically update the timeline based on actual completion dates of predecessor tasks without me having to redo a schedule for every delay. Is that possible? I've been looking into task duration, constraint types, etc, but don't understand yet. Example: Task 1: Provide Copy, Duration 1 day, Start on 7/11, Due On 7/12 Task 2: Design 1st layout, Duration 2 days, Start on 7/13, Due on 7/15, Predecessor: Task 1 If task 1's actual completion date ends up being 7/17 because of delays, I would like Task 2's Start On date to shift to 7/18 and Due on date to shift to 7/20 automatically. As it stands currently, if Task 1's actual completion date is 7/17, Task 2 is still due on 7/13 and is reporting that person is late on their task, everyone thinks they need to rush, which I don't want on projects that don't have hard deadline. - CM
5 Replies

Level 4
Chrystal, Workfront tracks many dates and what you are talking about is the Projected Dates. These dates move back and forth based on the predecessor task being completed early or late. The Planned Dates don't move because that is what was originally planned and if they moved you would never know what the original plan was, regardless of unplanned delays. Plus, if you do have a project with hard deadlines then you don't want to have the Planned dates move. I would create a view that uses the projected dates instead of the planned dates and then when you are looking at projects that don't have hard deadlines or that the plan doesn't matter, you can switch to that view. I hope this helps!! David
DAVID A. TAYLOR VP, Workfront Managed Services

Level 2
Oh, that is fantastic! Yes, this is what I was looking for, and losing track of the original agreed on due dates was a concern. Thank you! Chrystal Martin UCLA Extension

Level 10
Hi Chrystal, To supplement to David's Projected Dates tip, I invite you to read our As Soon As Impossible post, which describes the theory behind automatically compressing schedules when tasks finish early, which is the flip side of the coin you're after (automatically extending a plan when tasks finish late). Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 10
Ehm...and here's that "https://store.atappstore.com/as-soon-as-impossible/" As Soon As Impossible post, linked. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Community Advisor
Hi David, Just found your post when looking for the same thing that Chrystal wanted. I like your approach, but wondering if there's any way around Workfront blasting LATE on every task, when we only care about the projected dates (on specific projects with no hard deadline). Or when every person assigned, further down the task list, is now flagged as late, when it's not their fault that their task's predecessor wasn't completed on time. Managers review Workfront and ask, "why is everything late?!" Appreciate your thoughts on this :) Thanks! Sheri Sheri Whitten Gordon Food Service