Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How to group by a custom field?

Level 10

I created a custom field (New Client Setup). It is a multi-value field.

In a project report, I can filter by it, but when I go to the grouping, it is not displayed as an option.

How can I group by a custom field in a project or a task report - I will try to make either work.

Please point me to a post, if this is already answered or article or video.

Thanks,

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Benetta,

From your screen shot it looks like you are using the 'New Client Setup' field from a project based custom form as one of the columns, but you are using the 'New Client Setup' field from a task based custom form for the grouping.

If you want to group by the project based New Client Setup field within a task report, you will need to change the text mode code to the below:

group.0.displayname=New Client Setup

group.0.valueexpression={project}.{DE:New Client Setup}

group.0.valueformat=HTML

textmode=true

Let me know if this works for you or not.

Best Regards,

Rich.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi Benetta,

When you group by a multi-select type custom field, you have to use text mode. To add a text mode grouping, go to the groups area of the report builder and add the following code. You will then be able to group your data in the report view by your multi select field

group.0.valueexpression={DE:New Client Setup}

group.0.valueformat=HTML

textmode=true

However if you also want to use this grouping within a chart, you will also need to create a calculated custom field that references your New Client Setup multi select field field. Take a look at this article on Workfront One here for more information.

Let me know if you have any questions or need any more help.

Best Regards,

Rich

Level 10

Rich,

Why is it grouping but showing no value - as you can see there is a value in the field - am I missing additional text mode statements?

I'm getting closer - thanks for your help in this matter.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Benetta,

From your screen shot it looks like you are using the 'New Client Setup' field from a project based custom form as one of the columns, but you are using the 'New Client Setup' field from a task based custom form for the grouping.

If you want to group by the project based New Client Setup field within a task report, you will need to change the text mode code to the below:

group.0.valueexpression={project}.{DE:New Client Setup}

group.0.valueformat=HTML

textmode=true

Let me know if this works for you or not.

Best Regards,

Rich.

Level 10

Rich,

YES YES YES YES .... this worked - moving forward - THANK YOU .......

I LOVE THIS COMMUNITY .......