Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

How do you view the date a task is actually started without a report?

Level 5
Hi Everyone, After many frustrating exchanges with Workfront support and getting nowhere I'm hoping someone out there can help. We just want to see the date that the person clicks the "Work On It" button in the project view. It's beyond my understanding why Workfront would have a big orange button where the action is not recorded anywhere. That I'm supposed to ask my team to not only click "Work On It" button but also manually move the task status to In Progress is ridiculous. To make matters worse the only way to change the status is to click into the update status so they have to click "Work On It", click "Update Status" then change the status to In Progress and then click Update. REALLY?? I've got to be missing something this can't be true. Is everyone else able to get their team to do this? Thanks Aileen Aileen Taylor Cell Signaling Technology
6 Replies

Level 10
hi Aileen, I share your frustration with the process and there are a few different ways to look at this or work around it, so I'll mention a few and then leave it to you. Workfront's philosophy around the big orange button is that this is the worker's opportunity to put dibs on a task. It's the acknowledgement button. Clicking on it is the opportunity to say "I heard you, and I'll do it". As a result, it's felt that nobody needs to measure exactly when you click Work on it, because nobody needs to care that hard. The most successful training and culture shift therefore has to do with that message. If you are a group who cares about this step, then you tell the worker "hey, we want to know you heard us, so click on the orange button and let us know." Tasks are often assigned to a team of ___, who use team assignments to manage their work. In this case the shape of the training is: "hey team, when you decide which one of you is going to do the work, click Work On It and this will let everyone know to stay out of this task." Then you train the next step. "At some point, the task becomes ready to start, and then we'd like to have you click In Progress when you ACTUALLY start. This step is important for two reasons: one being the PM knows you started, and the other being that it's half the step of measuring Actual Duration." Final training step. "click you're done [option: train them to log time here]. This is the other half the step to measure Actual duration. [logging time measures Actual Hours] Finally, it notifies the next task holder to start." As you can see it's a cumbersome process because each step does something very specific. Folks who specifically want to know that their requests have been "claimed" they have the big orange button step. If you're interested in measuring Actual Duration or letting the PM know work has started or downstream task holders know work has ended, you can bypass orange button training and just train statuses. If you're interested in Actual Hours, train logging time. If you are interested in all of the above, well... you kind of have to be aware that those are all separate mouseclicks and separate actions, acknowledged separately. Finally, how much work or how many mouseclicks you actually need to do the thing you want to do is highly dependent on the work your users are doing, because the way they work may bring them to different parts of the system. It is perfectly ok to tell them they can ignore the orange button (save a mouseclick) and click straight onto the status dropdown and change the status. You absolutely do NOT need to go into the update status window for this step (save a mouseclick). The status dropdown is in the update window so folks can multitask: update, log time, update status, do all the things. If you just want the status changed and nothing else, just go straight to the status and click there (assuming you're in Home or the Task landing page). -skye

Level 10
Oh, PS: To answer your last question, I do have one team (probably more) who was never told to measure their Actual Duration. So they've been clicking on "Work On It" and "Done" for the entire time. This year, their manager asked me if there was a way to find out how long they were holding on to their task--in other words, she was looking to create a metric around actual duration. I suggested 2 options: 1) handoff date. (i.e. the date and time the prior task is completed is also the handoff date, which is the date that you can consider the start of this next task's duration) This allows the team to continue their practice. If you're looking at a project "task list" view and want to look at this, just replace your actual start date column with the Task handoff date column to see whether that would work. 2) asking her team to understand that she wanted to create a metric around actual duration and get their commitment to click on In Progress to "start the clock". (She went with option 2.) -skye

Level 6
Aileen, We have a column for the actual start date on our project templates. When someone clicks the orange "Work on it" button we ask them to then go back to the task list and change the task percent complete bar to 5 or 10 percent. That makes an actual start date for that task. For some reason the start date doesn't appear in the column if we only click "Work on it" (maybe we have an incorrect setting). We do assume that the person is actually going to do some sort of work which is why we tell them to put some some amount in the task's percent complete bar. I know that may not be the most accurate in gauging the task's progress, but our content developers are honest about how far along tasks are. Just another option to get the actual start dates for tasks. Jared Mauch Crown Equipment Corporation

Level 5
Hi Skye, Thanks for the ideas. Our issue is that the orange button does do something in the system it locks the time that the task was supposed to start. If someone clicks it ahead of time and the upstream tasks get done early the person who clicked the button never know this, they still think they have weeks before they even need to start working on the task. I've had to tell everyone to never ever click the button until you are actually working on the task. I've been told by Workfront the only way to know when the Work On It button was clicked is to have a custom form added each and every task that will report on the status. I'm flabbergasted that this is the answer for such a big part of the Workfront UX. But from what you have said it sounds like this really is the case and I have weeks of work to fix this in our entire system. Many thanks for your ideas, Aileen Aileen Taylor Cell Signaling Technology

Level 10
hi Aileen, that's not my experience. (To be very clear: Work On It button only locks the Commit Date and we do not use Commit Dates) 1) Our views are all set to look at Planned Start / Planned Completion dates. This is how Workfront runs for us--not many other dates are as visible. 2) The task Planned Start / Planned Completion dates are always "locked" to each other (based on ASAP time constraint) unless the PM changes them, thus recalculating the timeline. If an upstream task is complete ahead of time, it would be up to a PM or similar to change the Planned Completion date so that downstream tasks can recalculate [insert Doug Den Hoed's app here if you want to save the PM some time and effort]. 3) Otherwise our task owners always go by their own Planned Completion date: and if this never changes, then they take whatever time they need to complete. 4) Also note: we have an email notification set so that as soon as an upstream task is complete, the person who clicked "work on it" is notified. In fact for Teams, there's no notification of completed upstream work, unless someone has claimed the task ahead of time. We also key users to look to their "ready to start" flags. If a task is ready to start, it flags itself that way in Home and reports. Lastly: Our users are trained to discount the Commit Date field. This locked field shows up prominently in the Task Pane. Users are asked not to look at this field, but to instead locate the planned completion date fields in Task Details or Home or their reports. -skye

Level 2
Aileen, If this is a Task accessed from the from the home view, we added Task - Percent Complete to Setup / Interface / Layout Templates / Customize Home / Tasks. Then from the Worklist view, Select the task, then click the +Add under Task percent Complete and just increment the %. This will enter the Actual Start date and change % complete with minimal clicks. Hope that helps, Tim Timothy Osowski Devro