Expand my Community achievements bar.

How do you use 'Programs' in your setup if you cant have status' applied to them?

Level 2
How do you use 'Programs' in your setup if you cant have status' applied to them? Notice that you can't change a Program from Current to Complete or otherwise, they're either on/off (off as in deleted). How do you use these in your organization?
4 Replies

Level 10
we set up Portfolios by the year, and at the end of every year we make the portfolio inactive, which makes all of those programs go away.

Level 10
We use programs as organizational tool for projects. (Think of Portfolio as the file cabinet in the corner, Programs are the drawers, project is the folder, and documents/tasks/issues are the documents in the file) Almost all of our business units use Portfolio for the brand and then the programs for key initiatives based on the Annual SOW. (Example: Company is Novartis, Portfolio is Gilenya, Programs are 2016 Digital Campaigns and 2016 Direct Mail). That way at the end of the year, I can build a report that kind of matches the Annual SOW and they can compare the reasons.

Level 2
Thanks Anthony! So I have a question back to your statement; When the initiative is deemed 'complete', how do you make the file cabinet drawer disappear in order to not confuse people with the initiative still being active? make sense?

Level 10
Totally makes sense. For us, it isn't that big of a deal because the Programs say the fiscal year. So if your client is now on fiscal year 2017, you don't attach the 2016 Digital Campaigns program to it. You attach 2017 Digital Campaigns. You should totally put in a feature request to make programs Inactive like you can with Portfolios. It would make sense to have that functionality on both objects in the tool. (I can put in the feature request too so that it gets a greater impact rating with the product team. ;) )