Expand my Community achievements bar.

Come join us for our Coffee Break next week on top takeaways from Adobe Summit!

Hour reports with sum on main/parent tasks

Level 1
Hello all, I would like to see a hour report with grouping by specific higher level parent tasks, no mater how many sub-tasks are below those 'main' tasks. For example, if my project is separated in HW, SW, Mec sections, where teams put their own tasks and sub-tasks below those main parent tasks. How or can I use those main tasks in a report to group my items? I have a personalized form at the task level that have already a check box... but although I seem to be able to use it to filter, I cannot use it to group sub task... and filter doesn't do me good as the actual hours are logged in sub tasks. Hope I am explaining properly. Any ideas? Thank you. Roxanne Thomas NOVO
2 Replies

Level 8
Dear Roxanne, I'm not sure why you want to filter and group sub-tasks - if they are effectively filtered out, there's nothing to group. There is a built in 'indent' field that you can include in your columns (to understand it - it starts at 0) and filters through the interface. Unfortunately to group by it means going into text mode. I'm assuming it wouldn't be the first level grouping ("Show me all tasks at the parent level, regardless of project, date etc" doesn't seem terribly useful) so assuming you'd group by project (and sort by task number in the columns tab), text mode for your grouping would be: textmode=true group.0.valuefield=project:name group.0.namekey=view.relatedcolumn group.0.linkedname=project group.0.namekeyargkey.0=project group.0.namekeyargkey.1=name group.0.valueformat=string group.1.linkedname=direct group.1.valueformat=intAsInt group.1.namekey=indent group.1.valuefield=indent If you wanted to group by two levels, you'd simply create the first two levels in the standard grouping interface, switch to text mode, and copy/paste the following amended lines: group.2.linkedname=direct group.2.valueformat=intAsInt group.2.namekey=indent group.2.valuefield=indent I hope I'm being clear, and this is of help. Perhaps you could mock up the end result you want in Excel and post it here? Regards, Barry Buchanan Work Management Australia

Level 10
Hi Roxanne, I've got a different approach to Barry. Hopefully one of ours will help! Assuming you want an Hour report for multiple levels of indented tasks, I think you're on a viable path with the custom field, assuming you and your users are happy to apply it to the relevant sub-tasks. The likely issue is that you have used a check-box for your custom field. These are multi-select (you can choose more than one option) and so Workfront won't let you group by it. You should instead use a drop-down or radio button with only one choice, and then you will be able to group your reports by it. There are other options as well, such as using calculated fields which pick up the category from multiple levels of parent tasks. i.e. set the main category in a custom field on the top level parent task and then multiple levels of tasks below will pick that up through a parent reference (and parent.parent and so on). You would then group your report based on the calculated field. If you are interested in this option, there is a thread on the community, but I can help locate some info for you. Regards, David Cornwell