Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Home (new My Work) - missing Planned Start Date Sort & Grouping

Level 3
Hi Everyone, I have a help ticket open on this in case it is Admin user error and I didn't switch something on... I've been encouraging users to switch to Home. One whole group started using Home and then promptly switched back to My Work because of the lack of "Planned Start Date" as Sort or Group or Filter choice. Their tasks are varied with varied durations (1 day, 10 days) so they need the Start view. I was able to bring Planned Start Date field into the right-side task window using Layout function, but this is a one-at-a time task view. They need to see the whole picture. Question for everyone: 1. Am I missing something in settings? 2. Has anyone else gotten this feedback from Home users? 3. Any thoughts or recommendations in general? Hopefully this makes sense, thank you! Tina Tina Huang Optum
15 Replies

Level 1
The new Home view is missing many key elements on the left side of the page, making it more difficult to manage projects, especially for those who have the same repetitive task in every project. It would benefit all Workfront users if the left side of the tool could be customized as much as the right side of the page. Tina, we haven't been able to benefit from the new look/feel yet either. Michelle Rhoades Verizon Wireless

Level 6
I agree that there are a lot of customization features missing for the left side of the new Home. Because of this, I would recommend going to the Idea Exchange and vote for the many of suggested features to the new Home. You can also suggest more features for other users to vote on. Jared Mauch Crown Equipment Corporation

Level 10
Hi - I've made mention before but the #1 issue we have is the Calendar which is useless for us because it doesn't show the pre-planned work (task blocks from planned start to planned completion date). We don't want users to have to re-plan all the work that has already been planned for them by Project and Resource Managers. Aside from this, a few other issues: - As you said, you can't sort by the Planned Start Date. This is very important. - When editing the Layout Template for Home, when you click + to add a new row or new field, the cursor doesn't default into the search box. If this can be done it will make editing the layout template twice as easy. - When you click the carat dropdown button for the Filter, it disappears so you can't collapse the list. Users have to click off somewhere else on the screen to make it disappear and it feels a bit clunky. - There is a huge amount of vertical space wasted with white space between all the tasks. This causes users to have to scroll too much...this is a recurring theme in the new designs....they need to make more efficient use of the screen to reduce scrolling. David Cornwell

Community Advisor
Does anyone have any Idea Exchange links we can up vote some of these ideas? Monique Evans Stanley Black & Decker, Inc.

Level 10
Hi Monique, I tend not to use the Idea Exchange for core design / bug fix stuff like this. Workfront's Product Managers need to (and do generally) proactively collect and use the feedback we provide directly and through threads such as these. I think the Idea Exchange should be used for genuine new features or significant enhancements to existing features. Cheers David Cornwell

Level 7

It seems like this problem never got addressed. I would like to utilize the Work List more, but I really want to know WHEN I should start projects. Not when they are due. Has anyone heard more about this issue? I see it was posted 3 years ago.

Level 7

@Leah Janz‚ The items that appear in Sort and Grouping options for both the Home and My Work are determined by what fields are displayed in the Layout Template. So it did get addressed at some point, but in a way that's a little obscure.

Katherine

Level 3

Hi @Katherine Stibley‚ ,

Are you in Classic or NWE and if it's the latter would you mind telling me more about this?

Level 7

@Katherine Stibley‚ I'm also curious....I am not sure I am seeing what you are seeing. I'm in NWE.

Level 9

We discourage our users from using Home and instead use a custom layout so that can customize that.

Level 7

Could you share some screenshots of your custom layouts?

We use a dashboard - there's two reports - this is the first one sorted by start date. it shows all projects past due, with the task name they're assigned to, the last update on the project, and who owns the project. The second below this is identical except it shows my tasks due this week and next week.

The second half of the dashboard shows the following:

• Recent updates a person is tagged in (our users like to go through this to make sure they captured everything since they get so many notifications in WF, as well as email. it's like a second check).
  • Requests assigned to me - things that need follow-up and require action by the person before we can move forward with working on it.
  • Personal tasks - just as it states. Anything a user adds as a personal task is listed here.

Level 4

@Christina Jarosz‚ how did you accomplish the filtering for a Recent updates a person is tagged in? This is a Notes report, correct?

Employee

Thank you for the feedback on the ability to filter based on start date. We will review this information and see if there is a way to consider this with future planning. At this point, we don't have anything on the roadmap regarding this but we would like to review this for further consideration. Please feel free to check back in on this.