Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Highlighting lines in projects

Level 4
Is it possible to highlight an entire line of a task in a project? Leslie Tanner CreativeDrive
6 Replies

Level 8
Hi Leslie, You can highlight a whole row in a project by editing the view. If you choose a column that you want to conditionally format by, you can pick a background color and choose to apply that to the whole row. For example, if you want to highlight every task that doesn't have someone assigned, you would like on the "Assignments" column when editing your view, then "Advanced Options" and then "Add a Rule for this Column". That will let you specify the criteria that needs to be met in order to highlight the row. Kirsten Heikkinen Trek Bicycle Corporation

Level 4
Thanks Kirsten. The problem is that she wants to be able to manually highlight an entire row versus me customizing a view and creating a filter for a column. Hopefully, I'm making sense. Similar to the way you would highlight a row in Word. Leslie Tanner CreativeDrive

Level 8
Ah, yes I know what you mean! I've received the same ask from some of my users, too. As far as I know, there's no way to highlight a row manually. It looks like there's a similar idea on the Idea Exchange here: >https://experience.workfront.com/s/idea/0870z000000PSSIAA4/detail Kirsten Heikkinen Trek Bicycle Corporation

Level 4
Leslie, Kirsten is correct that the only way to do this is via conditional formatting so I created a custom field called Key Reporting Tag. This is a single select dropdown field that has different entries, one of which is "Informational". I then put my conditional formatting on that field, for the whole row, with a color and bolding. Now, when a PM wants that row highlighted they just select Informational in the dropdown in their task view. When they want the highlighting to go away, they unselect Informational. I know it's not exactly like Word or Smartsheets but it still gives them flexibility. having a custom field like this can be very powerful when it comes to reporting and passing information up the chain. Screen shot included!

Level 8
That's super smart, David. Leslie - you could create a task custom field that specifies different colors and then do conditional formatting off that column. Something like this, where the formatting is driven off the "Highlight Color" column. Kirsten Heikkinen Trek Bicycle Corporation

Level 4
Kirsten and David, You rock!!!! That solved it. Thanks so much. Leslie Tanner CreativeDrive