Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Help w/timesheet

Level 5
Hey All, One of my designers is having trouble loging time - what does it mean when the task is greyed out? see attached.... I know for a fact the last task was due yesterday so it should show up? Not sure how to troubleshoot. tks Karen
10 Replies

Level 10
Hi: When someone has entered hours into a timesheet, and they are greyed out, that means the project manager has approved those hours on the project. Project Manager approval of hours grays out the hours in the timesheet. Does that make sense? Want me to show how a PM approves hours on a project? To get them ungrayed, you have to go to the project and unapproved those hours from the project. Let me know if I can clarify further… Eric

Level 5
Thanks Eric- yes- can you tell me how the PM approves hours? If that happened- it was by accident- cuz we don't know how to do that! tks karen

Level 10
Sure thing. 1) The project owner opens the project; 2) Select HOURS from the More menu or from somewhere; 3) See below; [cid:image001.jpg@01D23365.2D263D80] 4) You click on the hour entries you want to approve; 5) The APPROVE button will appear on the menu bar - click it - all done; [cid:image002.jpg@01D23365.2D263D80] If you want to reject hours, click on hour entries that have been approved and you’ll see a REJECT button appear. Reject those hours that are grayed out and you want to change. Does this help? Eric

Level 5
Thanks Eric! I just checked- there are actually no hours logged to the job/tasks- so it must be something else??? I do have a ticket logged in w/WF also...... tks Karen

Level 10
Hmmm, if someone logged the hours, then someone else deleted the task, that would do it too. You can tell if there are “project hours” on the project. Go to the project, select Hours, and see if any are of type Project Hours. I assume you’re not using billing records, btw. Billing Records can lock the hours in a timesheet. I’ll be interested to know what Tech Support says. Eric

Level 8
Is the project closed? What are your settings under Timesheets & Hours -> Prefrences [cid:image001.png@01D23367.B73AD560]

Level 5
Tasks show up on the time sheet as greyed out when the project is closed / completed. They are added to the time sheet automatically if the task start and/or end dates are within x weeks (usually 2) of the time sheet. They can also be forced to the time sheet (and must be manually "unpinned") if someone "pins" them by using the "+Add" button, though that doesnt look like the case here (it would show a little pushpin next to the task).

Level 5
Weird- the project is still active????

Level 10
Hi Karen. Perhaps check whether the user has Contribute (Log Hours) permissions to those tasks. i.e. check the sharing permissions on the Project and/or tasks.

Level 5
Hi All- thanks for all the troublshooting- wouldn't you know- we figured it out- but I don't really know what the cause was. I think it was a bug. The person in question- was clearly assigned to tasks, but when we went to staffing on the job- she wasn't showing up. So we removed her from every task, and then reassigned her- and then her tasks didn't show up as gray. I wonder if it had something to do w/the swaparoo - we used it when it before it was released. But anyway- problem solved! tks Karen