Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

handoff date doesn't report correctly if an incomplete predecessor is removed

Level 10
hi folks, i'm experiencing an issue and wonder if any of you have run across it before. I have a report showing tasks (which usually have a predecessor) and a column showing the handoff date. We had an incident this week, where someone's task list suddenly ballooned, and the handoff date column indicated that she had missed a lot of deadlines. However, when we went and looked in the preview sandbox from last week, none of the tasks had a handoff date. It turns out that the following is happening. 1) Task C has 2 predecessors, Task A and Task B. 2) Last week, someone completed all their Task As. Perfect. 3) This week, someone deleted all their Task Bs, which is fine, except that now the handoff date showing on Task C is last week, and Task C worker is "in trouble." Does anyone have a more accurate field that would indicate a truer handoff date between Task A and B, and Task C, or have a workaround for the situation where someone removes a predecessor? Thanks as always. -skye
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Reply

Level 10
Hi Skye, That's an interesting situation, but I'd suspect one that is quite rare: an edge case. When Task B was removed -- wiping out the predecessor relationship to Task C along with it, I expect that Workfront then ran the usual timeline calculation, and -- since Task C's handoff date would have been null -- it followed the remaining predecessor back to Task A, noted Task A's Actual Completion Date, and plonked it into Task C's Handoff Date. Logical, but perhaps unfair to the Assignee on Task C, who was then deemed "behind". I suppose you could appeal to Workfront (from a feature request perspective) that at the plonking point, the Handoff date should be the later of Task A's Actual Completion Date and $$NOW, citing this example. However, I suspect there are other situations where having the Task A Actual Completion Date would be preferable. In the meantime, if this edge case happens regularly enough to justify a workaround, I'd suggest you invent a report, Task level custom calculation and/or calculated view that spots the anomaly to reassure Assignees that although Workfront is showing them as behind, it's not their fault. Regards, Doug