Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Funneling data between project and task custom forms

Level 6
We need to collect information for email deployments in a custom form during the development phase of a project. We then need to attach that information to each deployment task assigned to our email team. My thought was that information on a project-level form completed during development would funnel into task-level copies of this form, but in practice the data entered on the project form is not displayed on the task form. What am I missing or is there another approach I should be using? Catherine Hayes Manager, Business Analytics and Project Operations The Channel Company Westborough MA
5 Replies

Level 10
On your task custom form, can you do a calculated field? The calculation might be something like CONCAT(Project.ProjectCustomField) -skye

Level 7

I need help in this area also and it was covered in a training session at LEAP--please see below..... I need help pretty quickly and not sure if this is best place to ask for help on stuff that was presented in this discussion at LEAP. I am trying to implement a few of these for a presentation next week to wow and amaze...and they will if I can get them to work!!! I had luck with some of the text mode cheats - so great there. In Personalize your Projects : I was able to add column / find an image using google and copy paste the url....BUT ...the image doesn't show. just a thumbnail with URL (see screen shot) And lastly - and THE Tip I am most desperate for: TRANSFERRING CUSTOM DATA (so I can have the design specs attached to task and they do not have to dig down to custom form) I copied the project form I needed custom data from and made it a task form...but...when I try to change all the fields to calculated I get that error about them being used on other forms still ....and "calculated" field doesn't just show itself....I guess I need more thorough "step-by-step" instructions.....help ! ***IT WAS TIP #5 ---see screen shot Tegwyn Stockdale Production Coordinator / PM BayCare Clearwater, Florida Baycare Health System, Inc.0690z000007ZiJEAA0.png

Level 6

0690z000007ZiIuAAK.pngSkye thanks very much. This worked for me. I did not need the CONCAT but just Project.FieldName in the calculation field. Tegwyn, on my first attempt I saw the new field's name but no data. I check the Update Previous Calculations box and then the field populated. I'm not sure if this will help your set up, but it may be worth a try. I've attached a screenshot just in case. Catherine Hayes Manager, Business Analytics and Project Operations The Channel Company Westborough MA

Level 4
2 ideas: First create a report and add it to a dashboard that opens on the task when your email deployment team members open their tasks (layouts) That report can capture the project level information directly and put it next to relevant fields that can be filled out in-line. The task report will automatically filter to the current task that they are on. And you can even do cool custom formatting tricks to bring their eyes to fields that still require action. If that isn't workable, you can do what's been suggested of making calculated field copies of project level data. What I usually do is append a _ to the field name for the calculated copies. Field: Strategic Line Calc Field: Strategic Line_=Project.Strategic Line You can even get really fancy and set up a field called Override Project Level Data, make it a checkbox of the fieldnames on the project form that you'd copy down. Place those fields on the task form and control them by display logic. Then your calculated field would be Strategic Line_=IF(CONTAINS("Strategic Line",Override Project Level Data),Strategic Line,Project.Strategic Line) -- Melinda Layten, Senior Consultant Work Management Improvement CapabilitySource - 2018 Workfront Services Partner of the Year Phone: (484) 505-6855 site: www.capabilitysource.com email: melinda.layten@capabilitysource.com - we simplify your work so you can run your business -

Level 7
THANK YOU ALL ! I used CONCAT(Project.FieldName) ---AND it WORKED =) I'm going to see if it works without "concat" because they didn't use that in session...but either way ! it's pulling info. ***so when copy clicks on their "edit copy" task...the click on custom form right next to it and info is there....I guess its a little better than clicking back into project and then custom form there...and it's only info they need...wondering if there's an even better way... but I am very happy I have something to present to team that's positive....along with some other "Tip" gems. HAPPY FRIDAY Tegwyn Stockdale Production Coordinator / PM BayCare Clearwater, Florida Baycare Health System, Inc.