Expand my Community achievements bar.

Filtering using custom form fields on a user report

Level 7
This is one of those "I don't know if this is possible please help me and I'll buy you a drink in a few weeks" asks. Here's what I want to do: I've created a very simple user-based custom form and attached it to a user. On the form are three pieces of data: Brand, Indication, and Target Audience: Ultimately, I want to know how to take this information and create a filter in a report which would pull in these values as filters so the user will only see the Brand, Indication, and Target Audience he or she are involved in. Possible? Not possible? Am I insane? Now I want a drink. Anyhow, if you could let me know if this is a thing that can be done, I would be grateful. -j John O'Sullivan Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

5 Replies

Level 2
John, Are you going for a User report to show a list of users where the 3 fields match the values for the logged in user? Did I understand that correctly? Cory Anderson Cisco Systems- Communication Services

Level 7
Not necessarily. Let's say I have those three pieces of data attached to my person. Those are the only projects I'm interested in viewing. So, I was wondering if there is a way to custom filter a report using "Brand", "Indications", and "Target Audience" as variables, then filtering by whatever those exact values are. I wasn't sure if it was possible (I was wagering toward the "no" side of things) but wanted to reach out to the rest of the group just in case it was... -j John O'Sullivan Bristol-Myers Squibb Company

Level 10
Hi John, Despite the drink on the line, since the $$USER concept only exposes a few properties (e.g. the ID, homeGroupID, etc.) but not custom data parameters (such as the Brand, Indications, and Target Audience drop downs you've described inputting by user, but would then need to filter upon by Project, using an EXISTS), I believe you're correct that this is not possible. Instead (more traditionally), I'd suggest training folks how to create and make use of a Project filter, which is almost as good, and considerably more flexible...unless I'm missing something, which surely happens more often than I'm aware of. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 7
Back in the day over a year ago when I was a Total n00b with Workfront, I asked if it were possible to manipulate the information in a collection. You gave me bad and good news: Bad news, you can't; Good news, I'm no longer a n00b. So I think I'm still on the hook for that drink. :D As you mentioned, it was unlikely to work. The reason we wanted to have something along those lines were for some of the more tech-challenged users, as it would be nice for someone's brand profile to automagically show the data which is most useful. I <3 Report Prompts, and I will make people love them OR ELSE!m!!1 Just kidding, everyone loves report prompts. Thanks for the verification! -j John O'Sullivan Bristol-Myers Squibb Company

Level 10
Haha -- whatever the excuse, John, I look forward to it! That said, having taken just a wee bit more time thinking about it and refreshing my memory on the >Wildcard Filter Variables (buckle up): $$USER does expose otherGroupIDs, and Projects can be associated with a single group With the usual just-because-you-can-doesn't-mean-you-should caveat, you could Create a Group for each Brand, Indications, and Target Audience Assign one of each to each such user Create a dropdown custom parameter for Brand with each parameter option's text being the English brand, and the value being the ID of the equivalent Group Repeat that dropdown concept for Indications and Target Audience Set the Brand, Indications, and Target Audience dropdowns (religiously) on every Project of interest Use a filter that ensures the project's dropdown Brand's value is "in" the $$USER.otherGroupIDs, and the project's dropdown Indications' value is "in" the $$USER.otherGroupIDs, and the dropdown Target Audience's value is "in" the $$USER.otherGroupIDs, which Should then automagically restrict the projects each currently logged more tech-challenged user then sees to only those that match accordingly Regards, Doug (just kidding; especially since I didn't test my theory) Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads