Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Filtered Project List

Level 4

Our users have asked us to refine our default project filter to only show projects where they are assigned to a task that has not been completed or that is in the future.

Oftentimes, folks are brought into a project early on for consultation or are involved only in a single phase of a project. Therefore folks have TONS of projects listed if they select the "Projects I'm On" button. We've already replicated that button as a filter that only shows projects in planning or current status, and set it as the default filter on the layout template.

However, once they are done with their tasks for a project they would like the ability to filter it out so it doesn't show up on their project list. Of course, if they get added to a future task, the project should reappear on their project list.

Has anyone attempted anything similar or have any ideas?

4 Replies

Level 3

One idea is to create a report/dashboard with the similar information, integrating the desired filters (project they are on, but only if they have incomplete tasks assigned).
Using reports in this way is great because the user will see the formatted information in the exact way you would like them to see it.

Then can automate the report sending at convenient times, keeping it visible, but not noisy.

Community Advisor

You want an EXISTS filter that basically says "show me open projects with work assigned to me, and my assigned work is not yet complete."

There's a few approaches to that, but this is where we landed:

EXISTS:a:$$EXISTSMOD=EXISTS
EXISTS:a:$$OBJCODE=OPTASK
EXISTS:a:actualCompletionDate_Mod=isnull
EXISTS:a:assignmentsUsersMM:ID=$$USER.ID
EXISTS:a:assignmentsUsersMM:ID_Mod=in
EXISTS:a:projectID=FIELD:ID
statusEquatesWith=DED	CPL
statusEquatesWith_Mod=notin
OR:1:EXISTS:a:$$EXISTSMOD=EXISTS
OR:1:EXISTS:a:$$OBJCODE=TASK
OR:1:EXISTS:a:actualCompletionDate_Mod=isnull
OR:1:EXISTS:a:assignmentsUsersMM:ID=$$USER.ID
OR:1:EXISTS:a:assignmentsUsersMM:ID_Mod=in
OR:1:EXISTS:a:projectID=FIELD:ID
OR:1:statusEquatesWith=DED	CPL
OR:1:statusEquatesWith_Mod=notin

The above is two EXISTS filters, where only one needs to be true in order to return a project in the list of results.

Rule 1 is "any open project that contains a request that is open and I'm one of the people assigned to the request." 
Rule 2 is "any open project that contains a task that is open and I'm one of the people assigned to the task." 

There are some other variations of this that can be used, but this is the version we landed on. 

If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf

Level 3

Thanks for posting a more complete and informed solution.

Would this create a new filter? or would this filter be able to be applied to the my home work list?

or would this be integrated into a report?

Thanks for the discussion!

Community Advisor

Yes, this is a project filter and can be used when viewing any list of projects, whether in the Projects landing page or applied when creating a project report. 

The logic of the "Projects I'm On" button can't be changed, but you can select a default filter to be applied in Layout Templates. 

If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf