Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Executive Reporting Question

Level 9
What dashboard(s) do you find to be of the most value to executives, and what’s the best way to get it to them with as little effort as possible on their part? -Nate Bagley --- Workfront Community Manager - Work Smart, Work Happy Message me directly at:
6 Replies

Level 3
Hi Nate, Here are some of the resources I've used to put together reporting reviewed by team leads, directors, vice presidents, and the CFO to help make business and staffing decisions: A View called "The Real Story" includes the project name, project completion, hours, cost, and project % complete. The hours and cost are especially valuable to executives and can easily be exported in to Excel for pivot table conversion. Current Projeccts by Progress Status (On Time, Late, At Risk) - This is just a simple chart on a dashboard but can be helpful for executives who just want a snap shot of what's going on and where the issues are. This obviously assumes that these statuses are useful and accurate within the context of how you're utilziing Workfront. Actual Portfolio Cost by Program - Also a chart on a dashboard. Planned vs. Actual Hours by Program Name - Current Quarter - Also a chart on a dashboard. Other items that I've been asked to put together are: Average number of projects - and corresponding tasks - submitted each quarter. Has that increased over the course of this year? Number of hours needed to cover projects How much we end up outsourcing All of this data is fairly easy to put together but I usually find it easiest to export the data in to Excel and make my own charts. The chart functionality is great in Workfront but because of how our data is, most of the time it's easier to make my own visuals. I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions about my comments. Thanks, Tom Ford

Level 9
This is awesome! Thanks Tom! -Nate Bagley --- Workfront Community Manager - Work Smart, Work Happy Message me directly at:

Level 3
My pleasure Nate! Happy to help! :) Sincerely, Tom Ford, CSPO Marketing Software Administrator Career Builder 200 N. LaSalle Street, Suite 1100, Chicago, IL 60601 D: 312-698-0594 M: 312-273-0393 Connect with me at: https://join.me/tomford82

Level 4
Executive (or Project Sponsor) Reporting is a challenge we are dealing with right now. While there are lots of things in Workfront we would like to show (High Issues/Risks, Upcoming End-User Impacting Events (custom field), Recent Decisions, and the usual Start/End, Budget, % complete, high level status, etc.), our biggest challenge is how to display/deliver them. While it is easy to put all of this in a Workfront Dashboard, that isn't a formal that works for a lot of people. Call it a curse of being in a city that houses a huge number of Capital One's IT workforce, but the "standard" project status report around here is a one-sheeter, done in landscape, with all this data crammed in. Messy and busy, sure, but tell someone to go to a webpage to see a bunch of individual reports that you have to scroll down through for page after page and it's a non-starter. People here want a one page PDF in their e-mail. Also, having these saved to their e-mail tells a story over time, something that Workfront can't do (it shows you the way things are right now and only right now, historical overview isn't a concept). We are working on a way to export 4 reports and import into Access to generate these views, but it isn't the easiest. I know not a direct answer to your question but figured a good thread to put it out there.

Level 10
Jason - I feel your pain. I have three words for you: “Text Mode” “Sharecol” That is the only way I know of to produce an information dense report and even then, it’s going to be tricky. I’m no text mode expert, so I’ll let the others chime in on how they can produce a one-pager Executive level report. In the end, I think you would do well to go out to the AtAppStore http://store.atappstore.com/ They have some nifty reporting tools that might ease your pain. Thanks! Eric

Level 10
Thanks Eric. And by all means, Jason, if having a made-to-measure, one-page landscape PDF-able Status Report available in real time right from within Workfront, please drop me a line at doug.denhoed@atappstore.com. Regards, Doug