Expand my Community achievements bar.

Entering unplanned weekend work in timesheets

Level 10
We have a standard calendar for 8-5 with 12-1 blocked off for lunch. This gives us a standard 8 hour day, Monday through Friday. We haven't put weekends as available time in the calendar because we don't want the system factoring weekends into our planning as available days. However, sometimes people have to work on the weekends and then they want to enter that into their timesheets. At present, the weekends appear to be blocked off for time entry. How do we allow people to enter unplanned weekend work without making weekends get factored in as available days?
10 Replies

Level 10
Have you tried logging the hours through the project/task updates tab? There's a log time feature within that area, you can log time during the weekends over there. Cheers.

Level 10
Thanks for the help. We figured it out. Timesheets are created on Mondays. Even so, Sunday shows up as the first day of the week on the timesheet. However, the Sunday that shows up as the first day of the week is actually the last day of the previous period. The user can't enter time on that Sunday because it belongs to the previous period. It's just confusing and would be great if the user's time period matched how their timesheets were generated. At the very least, past dates shouldn't show up on the user's timesheet if they can't enter time against them because they belong to another time period.

Level 10
Hi Marc, A tip: To get your timesheet weeks starting on a Monday instead of a Sunday, change your browser language to UK English. I don't know why this affects it, but it does! Depending on where in the world you are, the associated UK date formats may or may not cause you an issue. I'm based in Australia so it is fine for me. Having said that, I hear you and totally agree that timesheets should display based on the period they are set for, not some other definition of a week....please submit a feature request (I'm pretty sure I already have one in the system for this). Regards, David

Level 7
Wait, doesn't just setting the Timesheets to start on Monday's solve it for you? If you go to Setup>Timesheet Profiles and edit the profile you're working with, you can say what day your timesheets start.

Level 10
No, it doesn't change the days displayed when you view the timesheet. E.g. If you set your timesheets to go from Wednesday to Tuesday, the timesheets will still display with either Sunday or Monday first (depending on browser language) although you of course can't edit the days before the Wednesday. There will be two pages to flick between. I've found that if you use UK language it starts on a Monday and fits nicely on just the one page if your timesheets are set for Monday to Sunday. Sent from my HTC David Cornwell PMO Quality Assurance Analyst M: +61 422 453 599 E: david.cornwell@pentanasolutions.com [ ">http://www.pentanasolutions.com/media/images/Pentana-Solutions-Sig.jpg]<> [social] [social]<>[social]<>">https://plus.google.com/b/102545672428646020884[social]<>[social]<>[social]<> 549 Blackburn Rd Mount Waverley VIC 3149 Australia P: +61 3 9535 2222 F: +61 3 9535 2274 W: pentanasolutions.com< ">http://www.pentanasolutions.com/?utm_source=ES&utm_medium=emailsig&utm_campaign=emailsiggeneral> Pentana Solutions accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. ----- Reply message -----

Level 2
Are the columns greyed? We have a Mon-Fri schedule as well, but people can enter time on any day of the week. Be aware of reporting which always uses Sunday as a start. Also, the Monday start was causing people to see a 2 week view of their timesheet which was more confusing. We use a Sunday start day now which shows a 1 week timesheet and allows the timesheet to sync with reporting.

Level 10
Hi: David - Are you saying that if you use UK language, the fiscal week in WorkFront is Monday through Sunday? I can attest that if you use the American dialect of English, the fiscal week is Sunday through Saturday. All resource reporting/functionality also assumes the fiscal week starts on Sunday. Our fiscal week starts on Monday and as a result, it is really annoying that we get two weeks of timesheet displayed and our resource reports are out of whack. Please clarify! Thanks, Eric

Level 2
This was one of our clean-up items at the end of last year. I had to update all timesheets to be for 6-days and then I was able to set everyone to the new timesheet that started on Sunday. The 1 week view is great!

Level 10
Hi Eric, If you use UK English as your browser language, it changes the first day shown on a week of the timesheet view. e.g. If set to UK, you will see a Monday as the first column on the left. If you also have your timesheet periods defined to run from Monday to Sunday, this allows them to show neatly as one page without needing to flick back and forth. If you use USA English or Australian English it shows a Sunday on as the left-most column of the timesheet view. This is OK if your timesheet periods go from Sunday to Saturday. No idea why the difference with different browser languages, but we do also have issues with the timesheet periods not lining up with Workfront's reporting definition of a week starting on a Sunday, so will consider changing our timesheet periods to align. Regards, David

Level 10
Brilliant, David. I’ll give it a go. Thanks! Eric