Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Duplicate Custom Information on a Project

Level 7
Hi everyone, We've run into a use case where we are trying to determine how to best send multiple 'records' of information of the same type in Salesforce down into one singular Workfront Program (using an automation vendor). The best option upon initial consideration is to create a custom form at the Program level to house this data, but we run into an issue with storing all of the needed data when considering that you can't add multiple copies of the same custom form, or custom field. For example, Salesforce has an Opportunity record with three 'Banner' products attached to it, as the customer is purchasing three banners of the same base type. The information we need to pull on each banner is different, but the fields for each banner are the same. SF Opportunity ABC. -- Banner 1. Name: Spring. Color: Yellow. -- Banner 2. Name: Summer. Color: Green -- Banner 3. Name: Fall. Color: Red. In Workfront, this is all part of the same Program to execute the work and is ideally where we want the data stored. For reasons more complex than to nicely detail out, we can't use the automation to auto-create an individual project for each banner to store the respective information; the projects will have already been created in Workfront, and identifying the correct project to send the data from Salesforce to is a large challenge. Thus, we're looking at this. WF Program ABC. -- Banner Custom Form. We're trying to send information from three different banners when we only have fields to intake one. I am curious if anyone has encountered and found a neat solution for how to deal with creating duplicate records of the same kind on one object. We've discussed a variety of options: creating a dummy project and the needed information is stored on individual issues; using paragraph text fields on the custom form and merging/concatenating the data from all three Salesforce records into the same set of one Workfront fields; leaving the data in Salesforce (ugh!). I just wasn't satisfied with these answers and was hoping to lean on other experienced users for some advice. Thanks for any help anyone might be able to provide! Mike Clark Program Manager Healthgrades
2 Replies

Level 7
Hi Mike, Due to the need for the database to have unique names for fields, you could consider something along the lines of: Banner Name 1 Banner Name 2 Banner Name 3 Banner Name 4 And so-forth... you can also use display logic to display data as needed... here's another, similar example: Banner Name 1 Do you need a 2nd banner? (Y / N) [radio button style, defaulted to no.] Banner Name 2 Do you need a 3rd banner? (Y / N) Banner Name 3 Do you need a 4th banner? (Y / N) I've had one customer go through and do this for 50 fields. It worked out great! The big issue, and why we don't allow the same field on the same form multiple times, is that when you go to report on it, the data would be inconsistent. Along that note, you can also combine multiple fields into 1 on a report, that way you can have say all 4 banner name fields all combined into 1 field called Banner Name. You can then separate the fields with a hyphen, use a line break to break them up, a horizontal rule, there are few limitations here. Here's a link to our help article that goes over how to combine columns: https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/217026078 I hope this helps! Thanks, Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 10
Hi Mike, There's a feature request for this on the Idea Exchange somewhere (I think I submitted it years ago). This is something that would be great for Workfront to be able to support (attaching custom forms multiple times to the same object). I don't think this would be impossible for the system to handle in terms of reporting, though for some reports you might have to settle for data from the first instance of each custom form. In others (e.g. a custom data report - filtered down to the program etc that you're interested in) you should be able to view the data from all the fields. In lieu of having this functionality, I don't think there's a suitable workaround/hack within Workfront. I really think you need to explore configuring your integration to identify which existing project the banner relates to (if you'd like to elaborate on your challenges with this we could provide more feedback). I'd be surprised if this was insurmountable because it sounds like a fairly common integration scenario. Cheers David Cornwell