Expand my Community achievements bar.

Did clicking "Work on it" ever used to automatically change the task status to in progress?

Level 2
In the past, has clicking "Work on it" ever automatically changed the task status to "In progress"? I remember it doing so, but it no longer does. Futhermore, is the relationship between clicking "Work on it" and the task status something I can customize? Thanks! Marshall Marshall Comden Plantronics, Inc.
7 Replies

Level 10
Hi Marshall, Your recollection might be correct, buy my understanding is that although Work On It changes the Assignment to me (i.e. "I'll take this one"), it does NOT imply that in taking it, I'm also moving it to In Progress (e.g. "Work On It NOW"). That said, there are a couple of other special data moves that have side effects, such as changing the Percent Complete on a New Task (which automatically changes the Status to In Progress), or adding an update to an Issue that is in the built in Status of Awaiting Feedback (which automatically returns the Status to the built in In Progress...to the chagrin some who have varying Equates With In Progress Status values). Perhaps it was one of those you were thinking of. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 10
Ehm...make that [Work On It] does NOT imply that in taking it, I'm also moving it to In Progress (e.g. "Work On It NOW"). which is what I meant to type. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 10
I was gonna say Doug ... �� Yeah, we've had Workfront since 2014 and I don't remember Work On It ever changing the Status. Honestly I wouldn't want it to. As Doug said it simply implies I'm taking it in. When I choose to truly work the task I would change the Status. But as I type this, I realize how the term/phase "Work On It" could be construed to mean I'm actually working on it NOW. But that's not how it was explained to us, and I've never seen it applied that way. Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT | Sr. IT Project Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT

Level 10
Hi Marshal - Something that has worked for my project managers is using the "Assignment and Status" field in reports. It shows each of the assignees on a task and then has Requested, Working, or Done next to their name. That way a PM can easily see if the person has clicked Work On It or if they clicked Done With My Part and they don't need to bother them anymore about the task. Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 10
I remember the exact opposite. Clicking "Work on it" does not change any status to In Progress, but changing a status to In Progress can frequently (or maybe all the time?) mean that you are working on it. i.e. no need for us to do both--if we click "in progress" the "Work On It" button goes away. -skye

Level 2
Hello everybody My first reaction when I read Marshal's post was, yeah, whatever the original behavior was, for me "Working on it" implies that the task is also "in progress", just as Vic says: That's what the wording suggests. Then again, I think: If parameter A follows parameter B, why would we need two parameters? In my opinion the tool should not try to be more intelligent than I am. At least there should be a chance to configure that behavior. If in my organization "work on it" also means "in progress" then be it so, but if not, leave it as it is! (On a side note: I always get irritated by implicit behavior like that I find updates claiming "Roland said the condition is Going Smoothly " when I never said such a thing.) In short: Leave the decision about implicit behavior to the user! Roland Hofmann Atlas Copco Synatec (DGB)

Level 10
I have always been perplexed why they set up it this way. Michael Lebowitz Marketing Analyst Michael.Lebowitz@guidewellconnect.com T 904-436-4240 | M 904-200-1364 Fax 904-565-6156 4800 Deerwood Campus Pkwy DCC 800-4-272 Jacksonville, FL 32246