Expand my Community achievements bar.

Custom form not automatically updating

Level 6
Hi We have a custom form on our 'Funding' Milestone task that calculates how many days a project has been in the funding stage. It doesn't update automatically and to make it update we have to 'edit the custom' form in the task and click save. Is this behaviour correct? Is there a way to make it automatically update? Thanks
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

9 Replies

Level 10
{{Laura}} The essential question here is - how do I recalculate custom expressions? They don’t automatically recalculate unless you edit them or trigger them, task by task. I called Tech Support on this, hoping they had something I could trigger in Setup. Nope, the guy said I had to mass edit all tasks in a project, and then scroll down and click Recalculate Expressions. That works, but only for one project. I’ve got a lot of projects and this process isn’t scalable. Nonetheless, if you need to recalc one project, that is how I was told to do it. They have triggers in Setup to recalculate timelines (under setup-system-diagnostics), but that does not recalculate custom expressions. I’ll be interested how other people force a mass recalculation. Thanks! Eric

Level 10
Hi Laura and Eric, We have two Apps in www.atappstore.com for recalcs: one on ad-hoc button click from within a dashboard under Workfront ( http://store.atappstore.com/product/recalc-helper), typically positioned right beneath the report; the other can be scheduled (eg nightly) for peace of mind to avoid data calc staleness. Both use optional filters, for speed. Regards, Doug > On Sep 2, 2016, at 7:59 AM, "Lucas, Eric" wrote: > > {{Laura}} The essential question here is - how do I recalculate custom expressions? > > They don’t automatically recalculate unless you edit them or trigger them, task by task. I called Tech Support on this, hoping they had something I could trigger in Setup. Nope, the guy said I had to mass edit all tasks in a project, and then scroll down and click Recalculate Expressions. That works, but only for one project. I’ve got a lot of projects and this process isn’t scalable. Nonetheless, if you need to recalc one project, that is how I was told to do it. > > They have triggers in Setup to recalculate timelines (under setup-system-diagnostics), but that does not recalculate custom expressions. > > I’ll be interested how other people force a mass recalculation. > > Thanks! > Eric > > > Site Links: View post online View mailing list online Start new thread via email Unsubscribe from this mailing list Manage your subscription > > This email has been sent to: doug.denhoed+esp@gmail.com

Level 2
Unfortunately, this is the way it works. We have the same situation. Amy

Level 10
I'll second Doug Den Hoed's recalc helper. I've used it before and it works very well.

Level 10
Hi Eric, thanks for your post about forcing a mass recalc, which I was finally able to use today when the situation came up. I made a project report since my custom form was at a project level, and recalculated expressions for all projects. Would you have been able to do the same thing for your tasks? (create a task report to filter for those tasks with calculated fields, and then mass edit and recalc?) I took a look at one of my task reports and the option is there.

Level 10
{{Skye}} I don’t bother filtering any tasks to do a mass recalc. I just grab them all, Edit, and recalc. You are correct, you can mass edit all the tasks that appear in a report, too. Anywhere you can edit tasks, you can recalc custom expressions. I’m still hoping for a capability in Setup to force a recalc of all expressions system-wide. That would be nice. Thanks! Eric

Level 7
Eric, in your earlier post, you mention you have to do go into each project to do the recalc. I think what Skye is saying is that you don't have to do that - just run a report once of all tasks that have the custom form, and then you can recalc across ALL projects.

Level 10
{{Greg}} Yes, I see that now. Thanks for pointing that out! I appreciate it. Eric

Level 8
Yes, I’m hoping for that function as well, although I haven’t put in a feature request for it yet.