Expand my Community achievements bar.

Custom Form / Auto-Scoring

Level 4
Hello Workfront Community! I am trying to create a custom request (issue) form which will automatically add a hidden score based on the selection made by the submitter. I am also looking for the form to add up all the scores (also hidden from the submitter) at the very end. The goal is to use this request score as part of our prioritization process. Below is a screenshot of a series of questions. If the user selects Yes it will add 10 points each time, selecting No will be 0. Upon completing the request form, it will tally up the score. Does anyone have any experience building this out in a custom form? Can you share steps/formulas needed to do this? Thank you! Nick Vivanco
10 Replies

Level 10
Hi Nick, What you can do is use the "Show Values" option when building the radio buttons in the custom form. Then, using a calculated field, you can use the SUM function to add the total of the results. Narayan Raum Workfront CoE Manager & Delivery Lead SunTrust Bank

Level 1
Nick, This can be accomplished by adding a corresponding score/value field for each question. This score/value field is a calculated field that captures the numeric value of the response. For example you could create a custom field named Client Driven Value and use a formula - IF(Is this Request Client Driven="Yes",10,0) Set the response from each Value field to format=number. After you have all Value fields created, create a Total Score field (also a calculated field) and use a SUM function to total all the Value fields - SUM(Client Driven Value ,Value Field 2, Value Field 3, etc...) Set the response from each Value field to format=number also. The drawback to this approach is that all of the calculated fields will remain blank until the custom form is filled out and saved. If you reopen the form you can see the values. This works OK for requests because the requestor just sets the choice fields, but when the recipient of the request opens it the values and total score are populated.This preserves the Yes/No response to the question. Another method would be to use the Show Values Option. If your Yes/No fields are Choice fields, you can use the Show Values option and set the output value of the question to be 10 for Yes and 0 for No. Then you could just add the Total Score field and Sum the values from all of the Choice fields, The drawback here is that when opening the form and reviewing the responses or including them in reports, they will be 10 or 0 instead of Yes or No. Stacy Devore Cleveland Clinic

Level 4
Thank you, Narayan and Stacey, for your feedback. I was able to follow your instructions, however, I have hit a roadblock. Part of the custom form also contains checkboxes. I would like to build a logic where each selection equals to 2 points. When trying to do this, I am getting the below error. The only thing I can think of is to make Option 1 = 2.001 Option 2 = 2.002 Option 3 = 2.003 etc. and have the total sum roundup to the nearest decimal point. Thoughts? Nick Vivanco

Level 10
Ugh, yeah it needs a unique value. Maybe try 2.000001, 2.000002, etc. (or go as many decimals that helps). It seems to accept that. Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT | Sr. IT Project Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT

Level 1
Hello I'm trying to do the same auto-scoring using the calculated fields and have changed my radio button fields to 'number' format as well as adding hidden values yes = 10 and no = 0 and ensuring my calculated field is also in 'number' format. However as soon as I choose SUM as the expression in my calculated field it says it's invalid. "https://s3.amazonaws.com/higherlogicdownload/WORKFRONT/UploadedImages/NlNIp2fyRDyRVSm6Z1bo_invalide sum.PNG" target="ThumbnailFullImage" title="Image link"> "https://s3.amazonaws.com/higherlogicdownload/WORKFRONT/UploadedImages/jzGgrCNSsWtWQqTr88dT_hidden values and number format.PNG" target="ThumbnailFullImage" title="Image link"> "https://s3.amazonaws.com/higherlogicdownload/WORKFRONT/UploadedImages/NlNIp2fyRDyRVSm6Z1bo_invalide sum.PNG" target="ThumbnailFullImage" title="Image link"> Reema Patel

Level 7
Hello Reema, When you select SUM, you then have to put in the fields you want it to sum, which is why it shows: SUM(,) So it would look like this instead: SUM(Field 1,Field 2) I hope this helps! Thanks, Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 1
Hi Dustin, I have put that in however still getting 'this is an invalid custom expression, please try again.' SUM(Clear business case and measurable KPIs,Have compliance and legal been engaged if relevant,Have all risk control documents been provided if relevant,Are all changes related? So no unrelated changes are added in,Are all areas of change included so other relevant changeable areas are not missed,Are any post brief amends only compliance or legal related,Are the changes supplied in an editable format so you are able to copy and paste,Are the mock ups marked up clearly and easy to read,Are the deadlines realistic so not unreasonably adding pressure,Did the stakeholders meet the timing plan deadlines) What do you think the problem could be? Reema Patel

Level 10
I'm recalling, that when we were doing custom field to SUM fields we was getting the error. And had to try all over again and at some point it worked 💁 poor explanation but, working till now.. Dagmara Garwell BAKKAVOR LTD

Level 7
Hi Reema, I would start with 2 fields, make sure they work. Then you can continue adding fields separated by commas. Example: SUM(Field 1, Field 2) Once that works, you'd go to: SUM(Field 1, Field 2, Field 3) And so-on. I hope this helps, though please feel free to reach out to our support team if you need further direct assistance. Thanks! Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 10
Hi @Reema Patel - I have had this happen to me a few times where it seems the invalid error is just stuck. Try copying the formula you have, delete it, and then paste it back in. See if you still get the invalid error. Anthony Imgrund FCB