Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Custom Field Question - Complicated Scenario

Level 10
Step 1. I created customformA on an Issue, which contained the text field "Company Objectives". Step 2. I converted that issue into a project. Step 3. I added the text field "Company Objectives" to the customformB attached to the project. Step 4. I manually copied the data from "Company Objectives" on customformA in the Issue to the same named field on customformB on the project. Step 5. I ran an issue report trying to view both fields. The report pulls up Company Objectives and Resolved Project:Company Objectives, only Company Objectives is editable. Resolved Project:Company Objectives is viewable. Problem - I am back filling this field. I want to be able to edit both fields from the report view. At this time, I have to go into the project and paste the data, then run the report to get the next one, as opposed to just copy and paste the data from the report view. Going forward, since both fields are now created on both forms - when I do the conversion, the data will populate from the custom form on the issue to the custom form on the project. However - back filling is a major issue and if there is a more simpler way to do this - please advise. Thank you. Benetta Perry APS
2 Replies

Level 10
Hi Benetta, By design, Workfront's reports can only edit data on the object upon which they are based (in your case, the Issues). Furthermore, since a single Project could resolve multiple Issues, there is a one to many relationship: so setting the custom value on the Issue and pushing it up to the Project could conflict with other Issues. You situation is the same as another client of mine. In their case, we are considering using the API to synchronize the data automatically, either direction, for Issues that are always 1:1 with Projects. Even that is complicated though, and still under discussion. So for now, I suspect that other than finding the path of least keystrokes possible, what you are doing is the best (and perhaps only) approach. Regards, Doug

Level 10
Doug Doug Doug, Let the cut and pasting begin. Proper design and foresight is so important when creating custom forms. It is best to push forward everything - whether it is currently used or not. Retrofitting is very tedious. Thank you for the clarification on this limitation. Benetta Perry APS